How Long Do I Need to Suffer Through Invisalign Order to Improve TMJ?

My dentist who has been helping me with my TMJ made me a night guard last year which has helped manage the jaw and headache pain, but it did not get rid of it, and pain kept coming back. I have a muscular problem as he determined that there was nothing structurally wrong with the joints. It was recommended to get braces, as my teeth are crooked, so jaw would be in a muscularly relaxed position. I am in second week of invisilign with a Functional Orthodontist and still in similar pain as before.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

TMJ and Invisalign

+1

Sorry to hear of your pain.  There are very few dentists and specialists that can treat the TMJ properly.  I personally don't believe TMJ should be treated with invisalign.  You should go to a TMJ specialist.  PAin should be 100% alleviated before any orthodontic movement.  Once the proper jaw dimension is established, the teeth are moved very careful and thoughtfully to this position.  This is impossible with invisalign.  I have seen invisalign cause TMJ more often than conventional braces because of limitations of the system.  Google Steven Olmos DDS in San DIego and he can most likely refer you to someone in your area who can help you.  DOn't suffer any more or risk things getting worse.  A properly constructed and TMJ doctor with a good approach can eliminate your pain in a week or less

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

TMJ pain and Invisalign

+1

I have personally never seen Invisalign cause TMJ pain. I would suggest you wear each set of aligners 3 weeks instead of the usual 2 weeks. Hopefully you will be feeling better in about 2 months. If not, sit down with your dentist and consider other options. I would also recommend that you see a cranio sacral therapist.

Dr. Sue Wendling

Portland Cosmetic Dentist