How Long Does It Take to Stop a Seroma From Draining After Surgery for Silicone Implants?

I am 3 weeks postoperatively silicone. After the first week, developed a large seroma and my doctor would not drain. In 15 days drained spontaneously through the scar, and now I have to try to drain help decrease the amount of liquid. How long does it take to stop seroma to drain and heal?

Post op Seroma

+1

This is a difficult problem and without further information there is no easy answer. There is a concern of possible infection of your implant. do you have a fever. Has  a culture been done. An ultrasound could be helpful to identify where and how much fluid is present. the longer this persists the greater the chance of infection and the need for implant removal.

Draining fluid after breast aug

+1

Seromas that form following breast augmentation are uncommon, but need to be cared for appropriately.  There are two reasons to treat a seroma. 1) Seromas can potentially become infected. 2) Seroma fluid around an implant can possibly increase the risk of developing capsular contracture. Before anything is done, you should get an ultrasound of the breast to see if the fluid collection is in direct communication with the breast implant. If it is, you want to consider having it drained surgically.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Your story does not sound good.

+1

Hi.

When a seroma drains spontaneously through the scar, it means that thre is a communication between the implant and the outside world.  This means that the implant is probably contaminated, covered with a microfilm,  and may not heal.

Just based on what you say, without examining you, I think the implant will need to be removed and the scar excised, the implant pocket should be curetted and irrigated, and a new implant put in.  All of this can be done in one operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Seroma and open wound following breast augmentation is an emergent problem

+1

As you have read from the answers from other plastic surgeons, a seroma following a breast augmentation is very uncommon and may be a consequence of an infection though not necessarily so. The presence of continued profuse drainage after more than two weeks is a concern. Even more problematic is that it is coming through your incision exposing the implant to possible infection (if there already isn't an infection/contamination) and therefore the possibility that it may have to be removed for a period of time.

Questions: 1. Is your doctor a plastic surgeon?  2. has a culture been taken of the fluid?  3. is your doctor aware of the wound opening?

If your doctor is not a plastic surgeon, you need to see one ASAP. If he/she is, you may also want to consider seeing another board certified plastic surgeon ASAP as this is an emergent problem. Also, make sure that your doctor is aware of the drainage and open wound.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Treatment of seromas

+1

Spontaneously draining seromas a month after breast augmentation makes me highly suspicious of an infection. You probably will not like it but your best bet is to remove the affected implant for 3 to 6 months before placing another one with a course of antibiotics starting yesterday. The end result will be better than ending up with a chronic infection that intermittently responds to antibiotics but eventually leads to bad capsular contracture.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Drainage and seroma after breast augmentation

+1

Seroma is a late problem after breast augmentation, and over many years we have never seen one after three weeks. Drainage is a very serious situation that implies an implant infection until shown otherwise. Keep in close contact with your surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd

Seroma after implants

+1

Seroma formation after breast augmentation is very unusual, but can happen.  It is very important that you follow closely with your surgeon to ensure that there are no signs of infection.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

More aggressive treatment needed!

+1

As you may gather from the other comments, a much more aggressive approach is necessary. The pocket needs to be cleaned, drained and closed. A new implant may be necessary as well. The consequences of a delay may be a serious infection that could require implant removal. See your doctor!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Seroma post augmentation is rare and should be treated aggressively

+1

The reason for the seroma can be infection,blood cloth and too big a pocket. The drainage of the seroma to outside has high risk of infection. The options are placement of drainer and oral antibiotics. You are at high risk of capsular contracture even if seroma resolved by the drainage. If no response you may have to remove the implant and replace it after 3-6 months.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Seroma draining after breast augmentation

+1

My concern would be with infection of the implant if you have an open draining portion of the incision that is communicating with the space around the implant and the implant itself.  In this very unusual scenario I would take my patient back to surgery, excise the portion of the incision (or in effect the whole incision) where there is an opening, place a suction drain, and get a good closure of the incision.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

Robert M. Grenley, MD