How Long Does It Take to See the Results of Buccal Fat Removal?

I had buccal fat removal 5 weeks ago but I do not see a difference. Is this normal? Am I swollen? When will I see the results? I also had rhinoplasty and chin implant.

Buccal Fat Pad Removal - Los Angeles

Hello and thank you for the question.

Buccal fad pad resection results typically take 1 to 4 months before optimal results can be appreciated. This may be prolonged if the patient has had concomitant facial surgeries, as is the case with you.  In general, the results of buccal fat pad resection are modest at best.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Buccal fat pad reduction results improve over a few months

Thanks for your question. I find buccal fat pad reduction to be a great procedure in the properly selected patient. Fullness in the lower cheeks or "chipmunk cheeks" can be treated this way. Liposuction or skin tightening technologies will not be the right choice when buccal fullness is apparent. The buccal fat pad sits deeper in the lower cheek area under muscle. This is different from skin fat that can be liposuctioned. Proper diagnosis is important to understand how to treat. Also, this fat pad may get smaller when we are elderly possibly giving a hollow look in this area. Performed properly in the right patient buccal fat reduction is easily performed and gives a slimmer lower face that is difficult to achiever otherwise.

I have many happy patients with this procedure. Careful selection and counseling are key. Results evolve nicely over a period of weeks to months. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Results of Buccal Fat Removal

Results of buccal fat removal are typically evident at 3 months.  It may take longer in select individuals.  Excessive swelling can occur for the following reasons:

1.  Over dissection in removal of buccal fat

2.  Removal of inappropriate tissue (surgeon may remove salivary gland instead of buccal fat)

3.  Unique individual healing properties of patient

4.  Amount of buccal fat pad removed

Targeted removal of buccal fat pad is the key to success.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time required to notice result of buccal fat removal

Dear Sharpie,

Buccal fat pad removal produces swelling that requires time to subside and 5 weeks is not enough. Final results could take up to 9 months post surgery to show if no complications and normal healing took place.

If accompanying surgeries were performed, a general swollen face should be anticipated and slower healing rate could happen.

It could be a positive indicator if results are not readily prominent after the surgery as the surgeon could have proceeded with the buccal fat removal conservatively.

If excessive buccal fat is removed, hollow face will form as the patient ages.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Results from buccal fat pad reduction

The results form buccal fat pad reduction are sometimes visible within one month but usually take up to three months to really see the results. The inflammation and swelling can take a while to subside, particularly when the procedure is done in combination with other procedures. You should try to be patients and wait another two months or so before judging the final result.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

VIDEO (click below) Buccal Fat Extraction

IT may take 3 months to see the effects of buccal fat removal especially if combined with rhinoplasty which can cause additional swelling to the face.

How soon would I see the Results of Buccal Fat PadRemoval?

Removal of the Buccal (Bicat's) FatPad is relatively atrumatic if done through the mouth. As a result, it does not result in a lot of swelling and should be visible by 5 monthsafter surgery. The degree of early VS. late appearance would greatly depend on how MUCH of the pad was removed. I would guess your surgeon may have been conservative to avoid giving you a hollow aged look prematurely as is seen with removal of the pad. Dr. Peter Aldea

Buccal fat removal

You should be seeing something by now.  Know however that the results from this are subtle at best.