How Long Does It Take to See the Results of Buccal Fat Removal?

I had buccal fat removal 5 weeks ago but I do not see a difference. Is this normal? Am I swollen? When will I see the results? I also had rhinoplasty and chin implant.

Buccal Fat Pad Removal - Los Angeles

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Buccal fad pad resection results typically take 1 to 4 months before optimal results can be appreciated. This may be prolonged if the patient has had concomitant facial surgeries, as is the case with you.  In general, the results of buccal fat pad resection are modest at best.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Results of Buccal Fat Removal

+1

Results of buccal fat removal are typically evident at 3 months.  It may take longer in select individuals.  Excessive swelling can occur for the following reasons:

1.  Over dissection in removal of buccal fat

2.  Removal of inappropriate tissue (surgeon may remove salivary gland instead of buccal fat)

3.  Unique individual healing properties of patient

4.  Amount of buccal fat pad removed

Targeted removal of buccal fat pad is the key to success.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time required to notice result of buccal fat removal

+1

Dear Sharpie,

Buccal fat pad removal produces swelling that requires time to subside and 5 weeks is not enough. Final results could take up to 9 months post surgery to show if no complications and normal healing took place.

If accompanying surgeries were performed, a general swollen face should be anticipated and slower healing rate could happen.

It could be a positive indicator if results are not readily prominent after the surgery as the surgeon could have proceeded with the buccal fat removal conservatively.

If excessive buccal fat is removed, hollow face will form as the patient ages.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Results from buccal fat pad reduction

+1

The results form buccal fat pad reduction are sometimes visible within one month but usually take up to three months to really see the results. The inflammation and swelling can take a while to subside, particularly when the procedure is done in combination with other procedures. You should try to be patients and wait another two months or so before judging the final result.

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

VIDEO (click below) Buccal Fat Extraction

+1

IT may take 3 months to see the effects of buccal fat removal especially if combined with rhinoplasty which can cause additional swelling to the face.

How soon would I see the Results of Buccal Fat PadRemoval?

+1
Removal of the Buccal (Bicat's) FatPad is relatively atrumatic if done through the mouth. As a result, it does not result in a lot of swelling and should be visible by 5 monthsafter surgery. The degree of early VS. late appearance would greatly depend on how MUCH of the pad was removed. I would guess your surgeon may have been conservative to avoid giving you a hollow aged look prematurely as is seen with removal of the pad. Dr. Peter Aldea

Buccal fat removal

+1

You should be seeing something by now.  Know however that the results from this are subtle at best.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS