Liposuction of Jowl and Buccal Fat Removal for More Facial Definition?

I am 26 years old and considering Liposuction of face and little buccal fat reduction (30% removal) done shortly. Would this give me good facial definition & triangular look?

Facial Liposuction

+3

From your photo, you appear to be a good candidate for facial liposuction and possible buccal fat pad excision.  This is a great procedure for people with a poorly defined jawline and full lower cheeks.  Good luck.

Reconsider Jowl Liposuction and Buccal Fat Removal

+2

I'm in full agreement with Dr Mayer, your age is a determent to this surgery. Please reconsider, especially the buccal fat pad removal. It is a very poorly thought of procedure.

Buccal fat/facial fat removal for facial definition.

+2

I have been doing liposuction for 30 years and do not do it on patients in your age group for several reasons. It is very easy to get irregularities and there are minimal changes. I have seen many complications of this. As to buccal fat removal, I feel the changes are too minimal to justify the procedure. Remember also that some day you will want that extra fat in your face for volume.

Buccal fat pad reduction to masaculinize

+1

Buccal fat pad reduction is a procedure that is not commonly performed but can make sense in the right patient.  It is important to understand the anatomy before undergoing the surgery so that you are well informed.  Normal aging reduces the buccal fat pad volume.  It is true that some people have more volume in their cheeks than others.  However, it is also universally true that that volume will decrease and descend over time.  Removing too much buccal fat can cause premature aging.  It is also important to remember that replacing fat that has been removed is extraordinarily difficult if not impossible.  The main reason is the location of the buccal fat pad.  It usually resides underneath a large muscle that is responsible for majority of the power motions of your chewing.  Once that fat is removed that space collapses.  Once collapsed it is very difficult to find the exact space and to reinsert a substance such as a filler or better yet fat.  One potential solution is to use something like Sculptra.  While I generally do not advocate buccal fat pad removal, I understand why somewhat would want procedures such as this.  I tried to choose my patients very carefully and I also tried to be conservative in the amount of fat that is removed.  Surgeons who trivialized this procedure simply don’t understand how difficult it is to correct deformities that may occur.  The cost of the procedure can run anywhere from $3000-$7000, depending upon your geographic locale.  Please visit with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  My best advice is to always be conservative with any buccal fat pad reduction.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Jowl and Buccal Fat Pad Removal at a young age

+1

Hello Ukswiss,

Jowl Liposuction and Buccal Fat Pad Removal could run in parallel to provide the candidate with the "triangular" look you are seeking.

As we age, the buccal fat pads tend to atrophy with different degrees among people.

The key remains within a conservative approach when performing this delicate yet simple surgery.

Therefore, it is crucial that you seek consultation with an extensively experienced surgeon who will physically examine you and provide you with the best possible solution to enhance your facial features.

Many supplemental and/or alternative procedures could help your case to establish the Ogee curve hence the ideal midface contour.

Thank you for your inquiry and for posting your photograph.

Best of Luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Buccal Fat extraction and neck lipsuction to achieve a more triangular face

+1

Based on your photo I would not recommend either procedure.  As indicated Buccal fat extraction should onlybe performed on patients  with  signficant facial fullness.  Neck and jowel lipsuction can enhance definition along the jawline but im not sure you require this.  photos showing side view and three quarter views would give me a better idea of your current appearance.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction does enhance the jawline

+1

Liposuction is good for the jawline/jowls and under the chin to give improved definition but buccal fad pad removal isn't done much anymore since it usually doesn't do anything and has more risks to it.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Buccal Fat Removal does not Age Well

+1

I would encourage you to avoid procedures that will require a later fix. Buccal fat pad removal was performed with regularity in the past, but is applied very selectively these days for reasons other posters have mentioned. The procedure does not tend to age well, giving a patient a hollowed out, gaunt, "Freddy Mercury" look in the early to late 40's. Unlike Liposuction in the neck, standard Liposuction of the face can lead to streak marks, bumps,and contour irregularities that are very hard to fix.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial liposuction and buccal fat pad removal

+1

Although liposuction of the face and buccal fat pad removal might give you the triangular look you're trying to accomplish, keep in mind that you may regret your decision, while still young in your late forties when the sunken in cheeks worsen and you begin to look guant, ill and tired. People who have had such surgery twenty years ago are coming in now for fat injections, Sculptra, Radiesse or other fillers for volume augmentation.

Ronald Shelton, MD