How Long Do Patients Sleep in the Recovery Bra After a Breast Reduction?

How uncomfortable is it have a compression bra on 24/7?

3 Weeks...

It’s important to realize that no two patients are ever exactly alike.For this reason, post-operative management following breast reduction surgery varies from patient to patient.
We generally recommend that patients wear a compressive support bra following this procedure.This bra is worn day and night for three weeks.The majority of patients have no difficulty tolerating it’s use.Patients are then switched to a sports bra for an additional six weeks.At this point patients are allowed to return to a regular bra, but underwire bras are avoided until wound healing is complete.
Patients who undergo breast reduction surgery can expect swelling and discomfort following this procedure.In an effort to decrease swelling, most surgeons utilize compression garments in the post-operative period.Compression minimizes swelling and decreases post-operative pain.It helps to remodel soft tissue and contributes significantly to the contour improvement seen with this procedure.

Sleeping in a bra after breast reduction surgery

Most patients will appreciate the support of a sleep bra after breast reduction surgery. Most will wear it about two weeks while others may find it more comfortable for 6 weeks or more. Every surgeon may recommend a different time period for recovery garments. If the bra is uncomfortable, ask your surgeon if you can switch to a cotton sports bra or a camisole with shelf bra.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Healing after #BreastReduction

Healing after #BreastReduction
Our staff at the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery will help you select the proper size. The bra holds the breasts symmetrically during the initial healing. The initial discomfort subsides daily and can be controlled with oral medication. It is best to wear the bra 24 hours each day until released by the doctor.

Sports bra after Breast Reduction

I have my patients wear a crop-top sports brea with no underwire day and night (coming out of it only to shower) for the first few weeks. Most of my patients don't mind it - they say that it gives them good support and allows them to get on with the things they want to do.

I hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Post Breast Reduction Support Bra

Instead of a support bra, I use ace wraps for about a week for a breast reduction surgery  patient as I find that the wraps  are easier to adjust to the varying amount of  post operative swelling a patient experience.

Then, I suggest that the patients were a sports bra for gentle support and commfort for an additional 3 to 4 weeks.  This allows for the wounds to heal, and reduces stress on the wounds and breast tissues generally.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Post-surgical bra for breast reduction doesn't have to be uncomfortable

Each plastic surgeon has his/her own protocol for wearing of various bras following a breast reduction. Some may request that they be worn day and night for 1 week or 2 weeks or even more. This bra does not have to be uncomfortable at all - nor should it. It should provide support to allow for healing and COMFORT!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast reduction bra

Understanding that every surgeon may have a different practice, I ask my patients to stay in the postsurgical bra for the 1st month postoperatively. It is not uncommon for patients to subsequently have a “bra  burning ceremony”.

Breast Reduction Recovery

That is a great question. I require that my patients wear the surgical bra for the total of six weeks to achieve optimal results. The surgical bra allows the breasts to heal properly. Hope this has helped.

Rady Rahban, MD