How Long Do Patients Sleep in the Recovery Bra After a Breast Reduction?

How uncomfortable is it have a compression bra on 24/7?

Sports bra after Breast Reduction

+2

Hi,

I have my patients wear a crop-top sports brea with no underwire day and night (coming out of it only to shower) for the first few weeks. Most of my patients don't mind it - they say that it gives them good support and allows them to get on with the things they want to do.

I hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Australia Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping in a bra after breast reduction surgery

+2

Most patients will appreciate the support of a sleep bra after breast reduction surgery. Most will wear it about two weeks while others may find it more comfortable for 6 weeks or more. Every surgeon may recommend a different time period for recovery garments. If the bra is uncomfortable, ask your surgeon if you can switch to a cotton sports bra or a camisole with shelf bra.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Post-surgical bra for breast reduction doesn't have to be uncomfortable

+2

Each plastic surgeon has his/her own protocol for wearing of various bras following a breast reduction. Some may request that they be worn day and night for 1 week or 2 weeks or even more. This bra does not have to be uncomfortable at all - nor should it. It should provide support to allow for healing and COMFORT!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast reduction bra

+2

Understanding that every surgeon may have a different practice, I ask my patients to stay in the postsurgical bra for the 1st month postoperatively. It is not uncommon for patients to subsequently have a “bra  burning ceremony”.

Post Breast Reduction Support Bra

+1

Instead of a support bra, I use ace wraps for about a week for a breast reduction surgery  patient as I find that the wraps  are easier to adjust to the varying amount of  post operative swelling a patient experience.

Then, I suggest that the patients were a sports bra for gentle support and commfort for an additional 3 to 4 weeks.  This allows for the wounds to heal, and reduces stress on the wounds and breast tissues generally.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD