How Long Does Loss of Feeling in the Tip Last After Rhinoplasty?

I had my rhinoplasty a week ago and had the tip taken down and haven't had any feeling there since. I know my nose is still very swollen, but is this something I should worry about? Will I ever get feeling back to the tip of my nose? Since it was "cut off," I don't know how this works.

Nasal tip numbness can take up to a year to resolve

+2

As a general rule it could take up to a year for the nasal tip sensation to return to normal and for the tip to feel soft again with an open rhinoplasty.  This can be much shorter with a closed rhinoplasty from weeks to a few months.  Ask your surgeon .  Best wishes.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Numbness of nose post rhinoplasty

+1

Typically following rhinoplasty most of the skin of the nose will be numb for several weeks if not longer. The tip,of the nose will remain numb the longest and it could take six months for the sensation to return. What you are experiencing is to be expected.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tip numbness after Rhinoplasty

+1

Numbness of the nasal tip is completey normal a week following rhinoplasty.  It will mostly resolve over 6 weeks but some numbness in the nasal tip is normal for even up to a year following surgery.  I have never had any patient with permanent numbess. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Altered nasal tip sensation after rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to have numbness on the tip of your nose after rhinoplasty. This can last as long as six months in some patients but in 17 years of practice, I have always seen it return to normal. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip numbness after rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite common for the tip of the nose to be a bit numb after rhinoplasty.  This usually gets better within a few weeks to months once the swelling subsides.

Tip

+1

Yes you will get the feeling back. You need more healing time. The longest I have seen this go on is up to a year.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Numbness in the tip of the nose is common post rhinoplasty

+1
I would not be concerned at all especially this soon in the recovery phase. It is very common to have limited feeling in the tip of the nose especially if the surgeon used an open approach. Give it time and you will start feeling some tingling sensations almost the same as dental numbness after xylocaine injections you will have slow returning feeling with tingling and then a full return of sensation as time goes on. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Don't worry, it will come back

+1

It is common for patients to note decreased or tingling sensations to the tip of the nose following rhinoplasty, especially those performed via an open approach.  This usually returns in a few weeks but it can take months in some cases.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon