How Long Does Loss of Feeling in the Tip Last After Rhinoplasty?

I had my rhinoplasty a week ago and had the tip taken down and haven't had any feeling there since. I know my nose is still very swollen, but is this something I should worry about? Will I ever get feeling back to the tip of my nose? Since it was "cut off," I don't know how this works.

Nasal tip numbness can take up to a year to resolve

+2

As a general rule it could take up to a year for the nasal tip sensation to return to normal and for the tip to feel soft again with an open rhinoplasty.  This can be much shorter with a closed rhinoplasty from weeks to a few months.  Ask your surgeon .  Best wishes.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

How long does loss of feeling in the tip last after rhinoplasty?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Numbness after any surgical procedure is expected for several weeks to months following. As the nerves to the area are traumatized and will then experience a temporary neuropraxia, a transient loss of nerve conduction. This usually resolves over the next 6-12 weeks, but depending on the procedure performed, sometimes much longer. Typically this should resolve by 1 year. As it goes past this date, the likelihood of the sensation returning is small. However, it can take up to 2 years. If no return from there, it is unlikely to return. It should be discussed that persistent sensory changes may develop following any surgical procedure.

The usual signs of the nerves regenerating and neuropraxia resolving is itching, followed by a burning sensation and then occasional sharp, shock-like pains. These will be normal to experience, and actually a promising sign. Usually, normal sensation returns, but is is also possible to have decreased sensation or even increased sensation to the areas affected. Re-educating nerves postoperatively is often helpful and will allow proper instruction for the affected sensory nerves - methods include using different textures to the affected areas when showering, bathing, applying lotion, etc. If bothersome, there are some medications that may be helpful, including Neurontin for pain for hypersensitivity. You can try various textures such as washcloths, loofahs, cotton sheets, etc. Massaging the areas is also beneficial for the incision to make the finest scar possible. The last place to regain the sensation will be directly adjacent to the incision/scar as the nerves will make its way from the periphery to this location. If continual pain arises, evaluation is warranted. After ruling out other causes, one rare explanation may be that a neuroma has developed and may require surgical excision. This is very unlikely unless a large sensory nerve has been transected inadvertently during the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Numbness and Rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile.  However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain.  This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Numbness of nose post rhinoplasty

+1

Typically following rhinoplasty most of the skin of the nose will be numb for several weeks if not longer. The tip,of the nose will remain numb the longest and it could take six months for the sensation to return. What you are experiencing is to be expected.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tip numbness after Rhinoplasty

+1

Numbness of the nasal tip is completey normal a week following rhinoplasty.  It will mostly resolve over 6 weeks but some numbness in the nasal tip is normal for even up to a year following surgery.  I have never had any patient with permanent numbess. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Altered nasal tip sensation after rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to have numbness on the tip of your nose after rhinoplasty. This can last as long as six months in some patients but in 17 years of practice, I have always seen it return to normal. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip numbness after rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite common for the tip of the nose to be a bit numb after rhinoplasty.  This usually gets better within a few weeks to months once the swelling subsides.

Tip

+1

Yes you will get the feeling back. You need more healing time. The longest I have seen this go on is up to a year.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Numbness in the tip of the nose is common post rhinoplasty

+1
I would not be concerned at all especially this soon in the recovery phase. It is very common to have limited feeling in the tip of the nose especially if the surgeon used an open approach. Give it time and you will start feeling some tingling sensations almost the same as dental numbness after xylocaine injections you will have slow returning feeling with tingling and then a full return of sensation as time goes on. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Don't worry, it will come back

+1

It is common for patients to note decreased or tingling sensations to the tip of the nose following rhinoplasty, especially those performed via an open approach.  This usually returns in a few weeks but it can take months in some cases.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon