How Long Will I Take to Heal from Chin/jawline Liposuction?

I am having the area below my chin and jawline liposuctioned. I am wondering how long will it be until I look pretty normal, and how long will it take until I see my full results? Thank you!

Look normal 3-4 weeks after Chin/Jaw line Liposuction, final results seen at 3-6 months

Usually bruising and swelling are reduced to a point where you look "fairly normal" by 2-3 weeks after Liposuction of the Chin , Neck and Jaw Line.

Healing beneath the skin continues for at least 6 weeks.

Long term healing including skin tightening and remodel ling of the tissue beneath the skin continues for many months. I tell my patients to expect final result at about 6 months

Healing time depends on you, your doctor, and the procedure.

This is the perfect example of a question you should be asking your doctor BEFORE you schedule surgery.  You need to know what you are signing up for.

Your recovery depends on how much work you need to get an improvement.

Your recovery depends on how experienced your physician is with that treatment.

Your recovery depends on the procedure performed.  (My SmartLipo patients recover much more rapidly than my tumescent liposuction patients.)

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Healing period for chin/jawline liposuction

There is always some post-operative swelling and bruising. The greater the swelling and bruising, the longer it takes until your face and neck appear well or, as you say, “pretty normal.” Of course, cover-up makeup can be worn almost immediately (except around the incision line).

The degree of swelling and bruising is determined by the surgeon, the extent of the procedure, and your own bruising and healing factors. In most cases, patients should expect to look reasonably well within a couple of weeks or so. In most cases, swelling reduces and the contours tend to improve for at least for several months. I would expect “full results” in 3 to 6 months, if not sooner.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Smart Lipo on jawline

You can expect about 3 to 4 days of recovery in that area. We ask that you wear a compression garment full time for 3 days, after that just for your comfort. You see results immediately but will experience some swelling for the next few weeks. Your results will continue to get better for the next 3 months.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Liposuction of the jawline and chin gives nice results quickly.

The chin and jawline respond well to liposuction when the skin is elastic and will tighten nicely after fat is removed. There is usually an immediate improvement in shape even with postoperative swelling. Any bruising resolves over two weeks and most of the swelling is gone within a month. Skin tightens and scars fade over a year. I usually tell patients to plan on taking 5-7 days off from work and return to a desk job after that.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Results fro chin and jawline liposuction

The recovery until you look presentable should be 2 weeks or less usually and the final result will be seen 4-6 months out after all tissue settling and skin shrinking have taken place.  I hope you are young and a good candidate for this because it takes good skin elasticity to have a good result. 

Take 1 Week Off Following Chin Liposuction

Recovery following liposuction of the neck varies from patient to patient and depends upon a variety of factors.  We generally recommend that patients take a week off from work following this procedure because of swelling and bruising.  The majority of patients feel good in about 24-to 48 hours, but may not feel presentable for at least a week.  Patients are able to resume most activities in about one to two weeks, but heavy lifting and strenuous activities should be avoided for at least 4 to 6 weeks following surgery.

Even when patients are able to resume a normal life style, the healing process continues for up to a year following surgery.  During this time period tissue remodeling occurs, swelling improves and skin tightens.  For these reasons, it’s important to be patient following this type of procedure.

How long does it take to heal from chin and jawline liposuction

Most patient's have some degree of visible bruising and swelling for the first 10-14 days after the procedure. With a little makeup and  turtle neck collar, patients are able to get back to their social activities within  10 days. Full results usually take 2-3 months for all swelling to subside inside the neck. For many examples of necklifts in our practice, please see  the link below

Generally, recovery from this type of procedure is within 5-7 days

In general, my patient’s recover from this type of procedure within 5-7 days. Most are able to return to work in 3-5 days, but this depends on the individual, and the type of work they do. I usually have my patient’s wear a head wrap for at least 3 days. You should see an improvement once the swelling subsides—usually 1-2 weeks. The final results can take 3-6 months to develop.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing time after Chin liposuction

hello cupcake

Generally you're looking at about a week to maybe even two weeks of downtime depending on what you mean by downtime. For those patients who are trying to be very private about their procedure two weeks is probably safe. After that time any potential bruising and certain swelling should have resolved. You will have gone through a period of time during which you wear a supporting garment around your chin and neck. In many cases you are fine to return to work within a week and no one really knows what happened. In my office I use the SlimLipo laser assisted liposuction system that uses both traditional liposuction and a laser technology that tightens the tissues after the traditional liposuction has been performed. My patients have very little bruising if any and the swelling tends to last around a week. There are no real incisions with this so there are no sutures to remove either. You will look and feel your worst about two days after the procedure but even then it's not that bad.

Thank you for your inquiry and best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon