How Long Does It Take for Swelling to Go Away from Juvederm/Botox?

Had lines in upper lip and nasal folds done. Didn't want to change fullness, but now my upper lip looks like I got punched. How long before swelling goes away?

Swelling from Juvederm and Botox should subside in about 48 hours

+2

Swelling from the Juvederm and Botox treatment is mostly related to water being absorbed by the Juvederm.  I can also be related to tissue trauma caused by the injections.  To get the least tissue trauma, blunt cannulas are preferred.  Bruising can also cause swelling.  In general, without any significant bruising, swelling will be better after about 48 hours.  The lips may take a little longer.  Sleeping with your head elevated helps with reducing swelling.  I tell my patients after they leave to expect to have swelling then to have a diminished result of about 10-15% from what it looks like just after I'm done. 

Hyaluronic fillers draw in fluid

+2

Fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane tend to draw in fluid in addition to the normal swelling from an injection. The swelling and initial response can last a week or so. I generally tell my patients that the result they see at 2 weeks is pretty much what they can expect.

Botox should have very limited swelling...just at the site of injection, which should resolve in an hour or so. If you are unlucky, you might a get a little bruise at the site of injection.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling from Juvederm

+2

On average we tell patients to expect swelling and bruising from Juvederm or other fillers to last about 7-10 days. Botox should have minimal swelling or bruising, if any, and usually if it does it's only at the site of injection for a day or so. Because fillers are used to volumize, what's being injected under the skin is actually filling it in, and that's why there's bruising and swelling. Expect it to last several days and don't take any Advil or Aleve, pre or post procedure. You can also ice if you'd like but that's usually not that helpful after the second day. If you have any concerns, call your injector for an appointment.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

How long before swelling goes away from Botox and Juvederm?

+1

Swelling from Botox is usually insignificant unless there was bleeding and trauma then it's more about the trauma and bruise than Botox.  Juvederm is a different matter. It is naturally a volumizer and swells as it expands in your tissues. Any trauma or bruising adds to this.  So right after the injections it's hard to know if it is just swelling or too much product.  You will have to give it about a week to see how it settles before you can tell what your final results will be.

Sam Naficy, MD

Fillers, Juvederm and Restylane in the upper lip can cause a several days of swelling, a rare side effect, not a complication

+1

Lip inections can cause a significant swelling in a few individuals, it is expected to go away in a few days, it may be more long lasting or shorter.

why this occurs, is not understood, but similar to trauma to the lip inducing a tremendously more swollen area than other sites, it is expected to be temporary.

Ronald Shelton, MD