Necessary to Have Repeat Facial Fat Transfers?

How long does face fat transfer last? Is it necessary to repeat treament more than one time?

Fat transfer, grafting, injection: how long will it last and how many sessions.

+1

I have seen photographs of fat transfers proving that they have lived well over 20 years. However, that is not the case in most situations. Fat transfers may achieve overcorrection or undercorrection and in the vast majority of instances the latter occurs necessitating additional sessions.

Fat transfer, fat grafts, fat injections

+1

Once fat cells survive the initial transfer, they live. The issue, is how many of the cells survive? Do more survive if they are grafted within the muscle than the fatty layer? How significant is the swelling that occurs and for how many weeks does it last when fat is injected in the muscle vs. the fatty layer? There are differences depending on the technique used to inject fat and the surgeon may tailor the methodology depending on the patient's preferences and their ability to tolerate a number of weeks of down-time.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat Transfer Usually Done Once, Occaisionally Patients Have Second Procedure

+1

Hi,

I tell my patients that their facial fat transfer will take approximately 3 hours in the operating room under anesthesia.  It is essential to be meticulous with fat transfer as the fat that survives is a permanent filler and will last as long as natural fat in the face.  The majority of patients have a single treatment, sometimes a secondary procedure is required 6 to 12 months later.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD