How Long Before Surgery Should I Stop Nicotine Replacement Therapy?

I quit smoking almost a year a go. Recently, I've been going through stress and had the urge to smoke again. Instead of smoking, I started back on NRT. I use the Nicorette lozenges, about 3-4/day. How soon before surgery should I stop?

NRT and Mommy Makeover Surgery

+4

Since you asked the question, you must be aware that smoking increases the risk of some complications for surgery including wound healing. Congratulations on quitting almost a year ago! Available evidence does not support a detrimental effect of NRT in surgical patients, especially when compared with the consequences of continued smoking. However, I advise my patients not to take anything other than vitamins prior to surgery. I like to see them avoid anything unnecessary for two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Good luck.

Stop Smoking and NRT 8 weeks before Mommy Makeover

+3

Generally Plastic Surgeons recommend stopping all forms of Nicotine 5 weeks before surgery.

However Mommy Makeover is a "Multiple Procedure" operation which carries increased post operative risks and I prefer that all forms of Nicotine be stopped 8 weeks before Mommy Makeover Surgery.

I also recommend doing blood tests to check for Nicotine metabolites in the blood before surgery.

The Mommy Makeover typically includes a Tummy Tuck, and Breast surgery either Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift or both. These multiple procedures involve creating skin flaps which lessen the blood supply to the skin.

Since Nicotine causes spasm of blood vessels and reduced blood supply to the skin, the effects of Nicotine can be very risky during Mommy Makeover surgery

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Nicotine cessation

+2
I recommend no nicotine for two weeks prior to and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine causes your blood vessels to squeeze down, which decreases the oxygen available to your tissues for healing. I commend you for going back to lozenges instead of smoking. It's a tough habit to kick - congratulations.

Grant Stevens, MD

How long before surgery should I stop nicotine replacement therapy?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mommy makeover where the viability of the skin/tissue, belly button, and nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Nicotine and Surgery

+1

Nicotine causes vasoconstriction of blood vessels which results in decreased blood flow to the skin. Any procedure that requires the elevation of skin flaps can be adversely impacted by this phenomenon. For this reason we generally recommend that patients not use nicotine products for four to six weeks prior to surgery. This includes cigarettes, nicorette gum, patches or anything else that contains nicotine.

It’s important to understand that every patient’s situation is unique. For this reason, this approach may require modification from time to time based on the patients particular needs. Under these circumstances it’s always important to consider the patients risk benefit ratio. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Nicotin

+1

It is best to stop all nicotine containing products and cigarettes 4 weeks prior to elective cosmetic surgery.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Nicotine and surgery

+1

Its a hard question to answer with any level of certainty since there does not appear to be very good evidence to tell us that a certain time frame is ideal.  I would discuss this with each patient individually and let them know that the ideal would be to stop some reasonable time before surgery, perhaps a month or so but that smoking itself is likely much worse for healing.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Nicorette and surgery

+1

the negative effects of nicotine, which is spasm of the blood vessels and poor healing are the same whether the nicotine comes from a gum, a patch or a cigarette. The actual cigarette has some additional issues with your lungs and coughing, but the effects on the blood vessels is related to nicotine. I would suggest one month before and after all nicotine products.

Julio Garcia, MD

Surgery and nicotine replacement therapy

+1

The answer to your question is surgeon-specific because there is not indisputable evidence to give an exact time when to stop nicotine replacement therapy.

Many surgeons would say no nicotine-containing products for 3 weeks before and none for 3 weeks after undergoing an elective cosmetic surgical procedure. Some would say longer amounts of time.

Ask you doctor what he/she recommends.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Smoking & Surgery

+1

I tell my patients no nicotine for 4-6 weeks before AND after surgery. It can delay the healing process. Congratulations on quitting smoking!

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD