Pregnant Right After Mommy Makeover, Are There Additional Risks Now?

I had a complete mommy makeover (TT, BL, BA) on May 27, 2011. I've been on birth control pill for the last 14 yrs, and I never had a problem with it. I'm very disciplined when it comes to take the pill every night before I go to bed. But yesterday I just found out I am pregnant. How risky is for me to go thru the pregnancy? How about my stomach? Do I have enough skin to stretch out for the baby? Is there any other related risks?Thank you for taking the time to give me your professional opinion.

Previous abdominoplasty will not affect pregancy

+2

Your mommy makeover will not affect your pregnancy.  Your pregnancy, however, may impact some of your mommy makeover results but this can be addressed in the future. 

Dr Repta

Mommy is pregnant again

+2

Congratulations!

Don't worry about the risk at all.  

Your incisions should have all healed by now.  Your skin and tissues will stretch out without a problem.  As far as returning to the flat tummy you have now, you will have to wait and see.

You could certainly undergo another tummy tuck if needed.

Enjoy your new baby!

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

No risks if you become pregnant again!

+1

Congratulations! Your cosmetic surgery will not affect your pregnancy. During this next pregnancy your skin will stretch and after the birth of your child, you may opt for further skin removal to retighten the abdominal contours.  In other words, a redo or modification of your tummy tuck can be done to restore your results.

Marc Malek, MD

Pregnant after Mommy Makeover

+1

Congratulations! I have had a few patients who had the "mommy makeover" and then ended up getting pregnant again.  There is no risk to you or the baby! Depending on how your body responds, you may need a revision after having the baby but then again, you may not!

After you have your baby and have finished nursing (if you choose to nurse), you can visit with your surgeon and discuss revisionary surgery (if you are unhappy with the changes to your body). 

Enjoy the pregnancy and your new baby!

Pregnancy after tumm tuck

+1

There should be no difficulty in having the baby just because of your previous surgery. It is obvious though that because of the tummy tuck you are at a much higher risk for strethmarks of the abdominal skin after the pregnancy. Part of that depends on the size of the baby, your current age, how much weight you gain during the pregnancy etc. I do not know if there is any way to prevent or minimize the stretchmarks. Different topical creams have been recommended but I do not think any of them have been proven to be effective.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Pregnant Right After Mommy Makeover, Are There Risks?

+1

There are no risks to ether you or your new baby when you become pregnant  after mommy makeover surgery.  At four months however,  your scars have not matured to their final appearance (this takes at least six months) so this pregnancy could have an effect on them.    When you have delivered your baby  wait for four to six months for your body to recover and then re-evaluate your breast and abdomen to determine whether you need any further touch up surgery.   Good luck with your pregnancy.  Dr. Donald Brown

Donald M. Brown, MD

Pregnant after mommy makeover

+1

Congratulations!  Many women get pregnant following breast surgery or tummy tucks (and many other types of abdominal surgery)   Your incisions should be healed by now, and your tissues will stretch as they are supposed to with the pregnancy.  At this point, you will have to wait and see what your body is like after you are finished lactating and the postpartum changes have stabilized, and it is possible that you may desire additional surgery-or you may be happy with your new baby and post-baby body!  

Michelle Spring, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+1

Congratulations! There are no risks in becoming pregnant after plastic surgery. Skin and other tissues have an extraordinary capacity to stretch and recoil. Now, depending on age and health, the ability of skin to recoil is affected. But, no worries, you could always undergo another TT or breast lift if needed. There is now a new technique to lift breasts without a vertical scar, so don't worry about acquiring new scars in the future should you need a lift.  Best wishes to you and your new addition!

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon