How Long After Rhinoplasty Do I Have to Wait Before Going in the Sun?

I had my rhinoplasty surgery done a month ago, and I was wondering when can I go back to the beach?

Sun and Fun after Rhino

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure after Rhinolasty

+1

I advise everyone to use sunscreen, whether or not they've  had rhinoplasty. Your nasal skin will be more sensitive for about 6 weeks after surgery. After all those suggestions, I'll answer your question: you can go to the beach!

Sun after rhinoplasty is bad

+1

But for how long the precise answer isn't known. So surgeons err on the side of caution and recommend six months. This means no direct sun and sun screen while at the beach etc. Your overlying skin is hurt with rhinoplasty and must be pampered. It takes several months for the skin to settle down.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid suntan for six months after rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

You can go to the beach anytime after rhinoplasty.  Just make sure that your nose is constantly covered with #45 sunblock with micronized zink.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)