How Long After an Otoplasty Can I Get my Cartilage Pierced?

About 3 weeks ago I had an otoplasty done, I am 15 years old and I really want to get my industrial ( ear cartilage ) pierced , I know in three months results will be complete so after that would it be okay if I get them pierced?

Ear Cartilage Piercing After Otoplasty

+1

I would suggest not getting your ear cartilage pierced after an otoplasty, due to the increased risk of infection.  An otoplasty has sutures, many times non-resorbable, which can be susceptible to infection.  The piercing can introduce harmful bacteria to the area, infecting sutures.  

If ear cartilage piercing is still desired, wait at least one year, but do so with risk.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage Ear Piercing After Otoplasty

+1

I would wait six months after your otoplasty to pierce your ears above the earlobe. Even though it is likely that the piercing will be in the cartilage that is unaffected by the location of the otoplasty sutures, it would be prudent to be safe and wait than the normal time period for ear healing after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Otoplasty

+1

How about waiting for twelve months after the surgery just to be safe and allow your ears the advantage of full healing?

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon