Otoplasty: 1 Week Post-op, Ears Still Seem to Stick Out? (photo)

It has now been 1 week since my otoplasty surgery. However, i'm slightly concerned that the "top part" of both my ears still seem to stick out. Since the bruising is all but gone, with very little swelling left, can I expect this to improve with healing, or is this incorrect? I have been in touch with my surgeon already and am awaiting a response- simply looking for additional feedback.

Swelling after ear surgery

+2

After otoplasty, it will take several months for all of the swelling to resolve from your ears, and for your tissues to relax into their new position.  It is very common to see some fullness or contour irregularity in the very early stages after otoplasty as a result of this swelling.  If you have concerns, see your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns with him/her, and talk through what you should expect as your ears continue to heal.

Dr. Skourtis

Otoplasty

+2

Your situation will likely improve, but see your surgeon right away and have him explain the healing process to you personally.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prominent ears after otoplasty

+1

Ears may be swollen for some time after an otoplasty.  It is best to follow up with your surgeon closely if there are any questions or concerns.  Give your ears about 6 months before seeking revision of ears.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon