Ice After Facelift

I had my SMASS facelift (and upper eyelids) done 4 days ago. My cheeks are very swallen and hard, and I wonder for how long is it helpful to use ice pads to reduce bruising/swelling. Can the skin stretch considerably from prolonged swelling? One side of the neck is very bruised, but not swallen like the cheeks. I am 49 y.o.

Okay to ice after facelift

You appear to have a normal amount of swelling at the 4 day postoperative point. Ice is most helpful in the first 2-3 days after surgery but it is okay to continue using it if you want. As many of the others have mentioned it is important to protect your skin from the ice pack so as to not harm the skin.

It isn't uncommon to have asymmetric bruising. This usually resolves during the first 10-14 days after surgery. Sleeping with your head elevated at least 30 degrees can help with the swelling, especially in the first few weeks.