Ice After Facelift

I had my SMASS facelift (and upper eyelids) done 4 days ago. My cheeks are very swallen and hard, and I wonder for how long is it helpful to use ice pads to reduce bruising/swelling. Can the skin stretch considerably from prolonged swelling? One side of the neck is very bruised, but not swallen like the cheeks. I am 49 y.o.

Okay to ice after facelift

+3

You appear to have a normal amount of swelling at the 4 day postoperative point. Ice is most helpful in the first 2-3 days after surgery but it is okay to continue using it if you want. As many of the others have mentioned it is important to protect your skin from the ice pack so as to not harm the skin.

It isn't uncommon to have asymmetric bruising. This usually resolves during the first 10-14 days after surgery. Sleeping with your head elevated at least 30 degrees can help with the swelling, especially in the first few weeks.

Swelling after facelift

+2
Your swelling looks well within the normal postoperative expectations for the multiple procedures you had done. Ice will help for the first 48 to 72 hours and must be carefully wrapped with a soft cloth so as not to make direct contact with the skin. Also do not leave on the skin for prolonged lengths of time. Sleep with your head elevated with three to four pillows, watch your sodium intake. I tell my patients they may eat anything that they find on the outside aisle of the grocery store anything in the inside aisles will have added sodium. Bromelin and arnica are both helpful with bruising as well. You look like you are on your way to a speedy recovery and I wish you the best!

Michael Elam, MD

Ice After Facelift

+2

From the pictures it seems that you have normal amount of swelling after a Facelift and upper eyelid surgery.

Ice usually helps with swelling in the first 48 to 72 hours (do not use directly on the skin since after a Facelift the nerves are severed and you have no sensation over the skin). After that period of time icing does not change much of the swelling.

You may use black and blue ointment or any product with Arnica and Bromelin.

Sleep with your head elevated.

It takes about 4 weeks on average for a significant amount of the swelling to go away.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

To ICE or not to ICE after facelift?

+1
Dear patient :    We always caution our facelift patients to be very careful with ice after facelift.
The face is numb, post op and ice can be a problem since the feeling does not l00% returned for several months.

You may burn your skin.   We suggest gel packs provided in our hospital (not a clinic). You are there for 3 nights in a private room. We suggest you use the gel packs for one more week while you recuperate at our private retreat.

We had a patient staying the normal 10 days at our retreat last week;she used ice after being told not to and almost had a problem but our staff saw what she was doing and stopped her immediately.

Guillermo Koelliker, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Ice after a face lift

+1
It is best to check with your surgeon to make sure it's okay to apply ice after facelift. In our practice, we do not have patients apply ice, since the cheek area is  numb, and you cannot get feedback to make sure you're not frost biting yourself.

Ice After Facelift

+1

These are issues you need to speak to your facelift surgeon about as everyone has different protocols; generally I like warm compresses starting 3-4 days after surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Icing and Other TIps for a fast recovery following Facelift

+1

Cooling using ice (never directly on skin) helps prevent swelling for the first 3-4 days until it peaks but in my experience does not make it go away. Here are the recovery tips I give my patient for the first 7-10 days:

RECOVERY TIPS:
Limiting bruising by preventative means is a good idea after all surgeries especially those involving the face and neck (e.g. facelift).
This is what I recommend to my patients:
1. Head elevation at all times - I recommend a minimum of 30 degrees elevation and suggest they sleep in a  a recliner chair if  available
2. Stay away from supplements and medicines if you are able that cause bruising.
These include NSAID's like asprin, ibuprofen, and naprosyn, blood thinners and so on.
The list for supplements to stay away from is huge - we generally give out a list of the most common 200 supplements to avoid  (e.g. Fish Oil, alpha omega 3 fats, Vitamin E, etc)
3.  Normal or Low-Normal Blood Pressure. - If you are blessed with this great, otherwise make sure your BP is well controlled
4. No early lifting or bending down
5. Icing as directed by your MD during the first 3 days

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Use of Ice After a Facelift

+1

The use of ice and elevation are very helpful to reduce the swelling after facelift and blepharoplasty procedures.  I think that the effects of ice on swelling diminish after about five days.  However, many of my patients like to continue the ice after five days because it gives them some relief as they are healing.  

Michael Sundine, MD

Ice after facelift

+1

Judging by your photos, it looks like you have a normal amount of swelling.  We found that ice and elevation helps.  Please do not place ice directly on the skin.  Have a cloth barrier between the cold and the skin.  Sitting in a recliner with the head up is helpful.  3 pillows will also do nicely.  You want about 30 or 45 degrees of elevation.  This all will help keep the swelling down and the pain away.  It is also OK to call your surgeon with questions. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Ice after a facelift

+1

We use ice for the first 24-48 hours and then we begin to alternate warm moist heat and ice, done 4 times per day for about 5 minutes, making sure the warm towels are not too hot to avoid burning the skin.

Julio Garcia, MD