Swelling in Front of Left Ear/earlobe 9 Weeks After SMAS Facelift

My swelling was much worse on left side after surgery to begin with and then I developed an infection in left ear incisions and had to take course of Cipro. The skin in front of my left ear is still more swollen and numb and numb than the right but not enough for anyone else to notice. What is visible is how swollen my left earlobe is. My right earlobe looks completely normal. Could the facelift also have made my left earlobe swell and will it resolve in time?

Ear lobe swelling after facelift surgery

+2

Hi Columbus4384-

Swelling is often different between the two sides after a face lift, especially if you had an infection on one side. The ear lobe swelling will go down with time, but may take several months. Be sure to check with your surgeon if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe swelling will resolve

+2
It appears that due to the facelift and resulting infection, your earlobe swelled. This swelling is most likely due to disruption of the lymphatic drainage from the earlobe. Over the next month or so, the swelling should resolve spontaneously. As long as you don't have any more signs of infection, just let the healing process take over. I would typically tell my patients to gently massage the earlobe in an attempt to get rid of the swelling faster.
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Swelling Common following facelifts

+1

The skin in front of your  left ear is still more swollen and numb and numb than the right most likely because of your infection. Although the facelift  may have contributed to your  left earlobe swelling it is a moot point as invariably it will resolve with  time.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swelling in Front of Ear after SMAS Facelift

+1

The numbness that you are experiencing is normal since the skin was lifted up in front of the ear to perform the facelift.  The swelling of the left earlobe is much more likely due to the infection rather than performing the facelift.  This swelling should definitely resolve with time.

Michael Sundine, MD

Facelift

+1

It sounds like the infection you had caused the swelling of your earlobe.  It should resolve with time assuming the infection has been taken care of.  I would recommend close follow up with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Swelling after a facelift is normal

+1

Yes, the swelling should resolve after your facelift.  However, it may take 6-8 months for all of the swelling to completely resolve.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Be a "patient" patient

+1

Your signs and symptoms are not at all unusual even 2 months post op facelift.  Swellingo of the ear can take a few months to resolove fully  (remember, there is an incision around almost the entire ear!),   especially if one side was particularly swollen early post op.  Also an infection or suture irritation can result in prolonged or recurrent swelling.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon.  Ultimately it will all resolve and if there remains an earlobe asymmetry that is bothersome,  it is usually an easy procedure to correct.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe swelling

+1

After facelift surgery it is fairly common to have facial swelling.  If you had an infection, it can persist on one side of the face more than the other.

Earlobe more swollen on left side after face lift and infection

+1

Given your infection on the left, I think that the earlobe swelling can be expected to be prolonged more ton that side. In most instances, this should return to normal.

Massage swollen earlobe after facelift

+1

What you describe is normal and does get better. Ask your surgeon if it is OK to massage the swollen earlobe to help promote the swelling to resolve. (Rub the earlobe with your thumb and index finger for 5 minutes 5 to 6 times per a day.)

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS