How Long After Breast Augmentation Can I Got to the Beach?

I had my BA 5 days (2nd of January) ago and I previously booked a cruise for the 2nd of February so it will be a moth after my BA and I'm curious to know whether I will be able to go to the beach by then? Will i be able to go in the sea and swimming pool? I'm scared of whether im not going to be able to enjoy the cruise :(

Breast implants and beach

+2

This is a question best asked to your surgeon.  Most likely you can go to the beach after a month, but he probably will not want you to swim.

Beach after Breast Implants

+2

Every doctor has his/her own protocol for post-operative care.  You should check with your doctor on this.  In my practice, I allow patients to resume non-physical activity as soon as they feel up to it and physical activity after three weeks.  If you were my patient then I would be fine with your going to the beach or participating in strenuous/physical activity on the date that you mentioned.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast Augmentation and Beach

+2

Enjoy your cruise!!  You should be just fine to wear your swimsuit, but discuss swimming with your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+2

I certainly see no problem with going to the beach. It takes 6 weeks for the incision to reach 90% of its ultimate strength, and that is often the basis for permitting return to full activity at that time. 

The question of swimming should be directed to your own surgeon. If you will not be vigorously swimming, you might well get an OK.

How long after a breast augmentation can I go to the beach?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. Sunblock is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 7 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to activity resumption after breast  augmentation surgery. From the healing standpoint most patients are able to swim again starting 3 to 6 weeks after surgery.

From the safety standpoint,  much of the timing of returning to swimming will depend on exactly what you mean by “swimming while on vacation”. For some people this means wading knee-high in small waves;  for some people it may means swimming  long distances in choppy water.  For this reason, return to activities should be individualized  and gradual.  

Beach and swimming after breast implants

+1

Every surgeons has his own recommendations but I usually tell my patients to wait 6 weeks before they exercice.  Going in the water at one month should not be an issue if your scars have healed normally.  I would recommend that you follow your surgeon advice.

Enjoy your cruise!

Christina Bernier, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Going Swimming after Breast Augmentation

+1

One month following breast augmentation, swimming would likely not be a great idea.  Tanning and sun exposure in general will cause the scars to hyperpigment.

Beach after augment

+1
You will be able to go to the beach but should discuss swimming with your plastic surgeon. Also, it is important to repeatedly apply sunscreen and to avoid burning of your chest skin, which will slow the healing. Have a great cruise and do things in moderation!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Beach time after Breast Augmentation

+1

The questions you raise are not uncommon and usually dealt with before the procedure but I see no problem with enjoying your cruise.  Clean water, either pool or salt water, should not be a problem. Be careful about getting your incisions in the sun this could cause darkening of the scars.  In that a bathing suit gives little support I would be careful with activities that would involve your shoulders or upper arms.  Have Fun!

Thomas P. McHugh, MD