Lollipop Vs. Anchor Incision Breast Lift, Which Should I Choose?

I've had two consultations with different surgeons. One of them said they would use the B type pattern, which would result in a J shaped scar. The other said that won't be enough lift and won't be long lasting. He wants to do the full anchor type lift. Both said they would do internal reshaping of breast tissue. The one suggesting the anchor type lift has been practicing for quite a bit longer and is slightly more expensive. Now I'm not sure which one to go with. Thanks for your answers.

+2

Dear Dani; As you can read ALL the expert reviews there is a wide range of differing answers. I'm very logical, so I would offer the vertical or lollipop to minimize the scars. If you were not completely satisfied with the lift result than under local anesthesia convert to a full anchor lift. Yes 2 operations but it just makes sense because you can not convert the anchor to a vertical. BEst of luck. 

Breast Lifting: Pick Surgeon not Technique.

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

In the process of selecting a plastic surgeon,  I would suggest that you take the surgeon first ( after careful due diligence)  and allow him/her to help you with the exact technique necessary. This is because,  in the wrong hands,  you can end up with unsatisfactory results matter what technique is performed.

I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Based on the pictures alone,  I think you should do very well with a vertical mastopexy procedure.

Anchor vs lollipop

+1

Based on your photos, there is no reason for you to have an anchor lift.  A vertical mastopexy which leaves a lollipop scar will lift your nipple and also allow the surgeon to push the breast tissue up to give you a little more upper pole fullness.  A well done vertical mastopexy makes the breasts look a little bit bigger and fuller, not as much as a implant does, but just a little bit.  A vertical mastopexy is not just about the scar, it's also about how the breast tissue is repositioned on the chest.

This may be a little judgmental, but I think the reason why any surgeon would recommend an anchor lift is because he/she is not familiar with the vertical techniques.

Seattle Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Lisa Lynn Sowder   

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

I vote Lollipop scar

+1

Based on your pictures you have a moderate amount of skin excess. The anchor type scar will take out more skin than the lollipop scar. You mentioned nothing about increasing your size. After a lift you will be slightly smaller. Another new procedure for you to consider if you wanted to be 1/2 to 1 cup bigger would be to add your own fat taken from some other location and transplanted to your breasts. Good Luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

+1

Each surgeon has his/her preferences usually based upon experience and consistent results.  In other words two different surgical techniques may still result in a very good outcome.  So if you trust both surgeons equally, then the decision sometimes comes down to what technique you the patient would prefer.  Based upon your photos, a vertical (lolipop) mastopexy (breast lift) seems very reasonable.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Lollipop

+1

Actually, you may not have a choice if breasts are too large with a lot of sagging.  There is no way to do a lift with that much extra skin without have a scar in the fold of your breast (anchor).  Looking at your photo, you should be able to have the lollipop.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Breast lift

+1

Solely based upon your photos, I think that a vertical lift using a limited incision appraoch would give your the best results.  Good luck.. I do not think that you need an inverted "T" approach.

Depends on your surgeon's expereince

+1

You can see that there is a difference of opinion  on this matter. The correct answer is the technique that your surgeon feels more comfortable. Please ask to see after pictures of each procedure. Make sure that after pictures are year after surgery. The talent of your surgeon is more important that the scar pattern.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Patterns - Lollypop and Anchor

+1

Hello Dani,

Your breasts have significant and asymmetric sagging ( your left breast has more).  In your situation, I would want the lift that allows me to totally reconstruct the breasts and make them as symmetrical as possible. The anchor incision mastopexy does just that.  It can best deal with horizontal and vertical skin laxity without putting any forces of tension on the areola, which could distort the areola in it's shape or projection.

When a breast is a great candidate for a lollypop incision, there should be no need to create a J or L incision.  The fact that a J or L is being considered means there is too much vertical skin excess for a pure lollypop or 'circumvertical' incision pattern.  If that's the case, the same technique should be applied on both sides of the vertical scar, leaving you with an anchor.

Sometimes another consult may help.  Remember to see only breast specialists who do this type of surgery regularly.  They should all be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Vertical lift is the best option

+1

There has been a steady trend away from the anchor pattern breast lift and in breast reduction as well for that matter. Our vote is for a short scar or 'lollipop' breast lift. You will not lose any volume with the vertical lift as well.

peterejohnsonmd