Lollipop Vs. Anchor Incision Breast Lift, Which Should I Choose?

I've had two consultations with different surgeons. One of them said they would use the B type pattern, which would result in a J shaped scar. The other said that won't be enough lift and won't be long lasting. He wants to do the full anchor type lift. Both said they would do internal reshaping of breast tissue. The one suggesting the anchor type lift has been practicing for quite a bit longer and is slightly more expensive. Now I'm not sure which one to go with. Thanks for your answers.

Anchor vs lollipop

Based on your photos, there is no reason for you to have an anchor lift.  A vertical mastopexy which leaves a lollipop scar will lift your nipple and also allow the surgeon to push the breast tissue up to give you a little more upper pole fullness.  A well done vertical mastopexy makes the breasts look a little bit bigger and fuller, not as much as a implant does, but just a little bit.  A vertical mastopexy is not just about the scar, it's also about how the breast tissue is repositioned on the chest.

This may be a little judgmental, but I think the reason why any surgeon would recommend an anchor lift is because he/she is not familiar with the vertical techniques.

Seattle Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Lisa Lynn Sowder   

Dear Dani; As you can read ALL the expert reviews there is a wide range of differing answers. I'm very logical, so I would offer the vertical or lollipop to minimize the scars. If you were not completely satisfied with the lift result than under local anesthesia convert to a full anchor lift. Yes 2 operations but it just makes sense because you can not convert the anchor to a vertical. BEst of luck. 

Which breast lift techniques give the best results?

Thank you for the photos. Based on these, I would choose a short scar, or lollipop breast lift technique. As you can see from the previous answers, this is the preferred way to go for long lasting results with minimal scars and good projection. I've been doing the lollipop technique for 11 years, never regretted it and never returned to the anchor scar in any size breast! The anchor scar technique uses the skin as a brassierre to hold the breast, with an unnatural short vertical scar that forces the breasts to become more boxy in shape and loose superior fullness. The surgeons who use this technique will note (if they follow their patients long enough) that the vertical scar will stretch, the horizontal scar will move up on the breast and the breast slides south under the scar with loss of volume superiorly. In the vertical or lollipop lift, the breast crease moves up, shape of the breast is round at the lower pole, maintains superior fullness and anterior projection. You would need a little liposuction of the axillary fullness that shows in your photos. If you want to pay more for the longer scar, than see the more senior surgeon ( it seems he charges more because he has more work to do closing the longer anchor incisions).

Breast lift

Sometimes there isn't a single correct answer, and that often confuses patients.  As surgeons, we get familiar and comfortable with some techniques more than others.  Communicate with your surgeon the ultimate size you wish to be, and left them do the best job possible.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Breast Lifting: Pick Surgeon not Technique.

Thank you for the question and pictures.

In the process of selecting a plastic surgeon,  I would suggest that you take the surgeon first ( after careful due diligence)  and allow him/her to help you with the exact technique necessary. This is because,  in the wrong hands,  you can end up with unsatisfactory results matter what technique is performed.

I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Based on the pictures alone,  I think you should do very well with a vertical mastopexy procedure.

I vote Lollipop scar

Based on your pictures you have a moderate amount of skin excess. The anchor type scar will take out more skin than the lollipop scar. You mentioned nothing about increasing your size. After a lift you will be slightly smaller. Another new procedure for you to consider if you wanted to be 1/2 to 1 cup bigger would be to add your own fat taken from some other location and transplanted to your breasts. Good Luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

Each surgeon has his/her preferences usually based upon experience and consistent results.  In other words two different surgical techniques may still result in a very good outcome.  So if you trust both surgeons equally, then the decision sometimes comes down to what technique you the patient would prefer.  Based upon your photos, a vertical (lolipop) mastopexy (breast lift) seems very reasonable.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Lollipop

Actually, you may not have a choice if breasts are too large with a lot of sagging.  There is no way to do a lift with that much extra skin without have a scar in the fold of your breast (anchor).  Looking at your photo, you should be able to have the lollipop.

Breast lift

Solely based upon your photos, I think that a vertical lift using a limited incision appraoch would give your the best results.  Good luck.. I do not think that you need an inverted "T" approach.

Anchor scars almost never best for breast lift.

Hi.

1)  Just going by your pictures, I feel strongly that you should not have anchor scars for your breast lift.  They are almost obsolete.  Anchor scars are indicated for breast lifts only in massive weight loss patients, which is a completely different situation.

2)  For breast lifts, we use circular scars around the nipples only in 30% of patients, and lollipop scars in 70% of patients.

3)  You get the best long term results in breast lifts with either the Lejour technique or the Hall-Findlay technique. These operations sew breast tissue to breast tissue internally to get a conical shape.  Tightening the skin does not play any role.  This is a good thing, because skin stretches with time.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)