How Long Until I Look Good and am Fully Recovered After Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift?

I am 32 and in good health and am very fit. If I have a tummy tuck and breast lift, in general how long will it take not just until I'm recovered enough to return to work and normal activities, but to actually look *good*? As in, good enough to wear a bikini and not have it be obvious that I just had major surgery done?

(swelling down, scars fading, etc) I realize this is relative and may depend on a lot of factors, I am just trying to get a sense of what is normal.

Time necessary for post op show and tell after Breast and tummy surgery.

+8

Optimal appearance of a tummy for bikini wear is 3 months post-op.  Most women look great at 6 weeks post op breast augmentation.  Limit activity for 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Don't perform sit ups for 3months after the tummy tuck.

Postop appearance following breast lift and tummy tuck

+2

The postop appearnce and recovery varies from patient to patient. Generally the thinner the patient the less postop swelling of the abdomen and, therefore, the quicker you will "look good". Most patients can return to non- strenuous work about 2 weeks following a tummy tuck and breast lift. You should be able to start working out about 4-6 weeks after surgery, but you may have to hold off doing stomach crunches for 2- 3 months following surgery. You should  look pretty good after a few weeks but interms of getting into a bikini you may have to hold off 4-6 weeks. But most patients are thrilled following a tummy tuck and breast lift and have real enhanced self-esteem.

George Lefkovits, MD

How Long to Recover after Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

+1

Recovery all depends on how it is defined. For example if you simply sit at a desk and answer the phone or just do computer work than many return to work in as short as 10 days. If heavy lifting is involved then it can be as long as 6 weeks. The time for recovery for Breast Lift is about the same as for a tummy tuck.

Here is what to expect. -Within a few hours following surgery, abdominoplasty patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position. Strenuous activity and lifting of more than 10 pounds should be avoided for six weeks after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work and daily activities withintwo weeks of surgery.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck and breast lift patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars take a long time to mature to look their best but if done well and hidden in a bikini, then you could be back on the beach in 3 or more months.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Recovery after Tummy Tuck- Bikini Ready?

+1

As you know, you are contemplating major surgery with a significant recovery time period.

I would suggest you give yourself at least 3 months before contemplating bikinis. The results of your surgery will improve for at least the first year after surgery. Patients is critical during this recovery time.

Mommy makeover recovery expectations

+1

I tell my MM patients to expect 4-6 weeks of fatigue before returning to full energy and activity schedule. I tend to place my tummy tuck scars very low on the pelvis, so bikini wearing can commence whenever you feel ready. Most of my patients have returned to 'normal' at about the 4-6 month point. This is a big operation/

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

How long to look good after a breast lift and tummy tuck?

+1

Most patients are fully recovered after a breast lift in terms of return to normal activity after a few days, but I have my patients wear a support bra (and not a bikini) for 6 weeks and not exercise for 2 weeks and not bounce for 6 weeks.  A bikini that would cover the scars at that point would look fine.  A tummy tuck has a longer recovery, and it takes a few weeks (4-6) to really snap back and be back to full activity including exercise.  Some swelling can persist for a few months, and unless the bikini you mention would cover the scars, they will go through a red phase and take months to over a year to fade.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Tummy tuck, breast lift, mommy makeover

+1
A large part will depend on how much liposuction will be performed as part of the tummy tuck. More liposuction will lead to additional swelling and will newbies more recovery before you fell comfortable in a bikini. Most people feel comfortable in a bathing suit at 4-6 weeks but healing process lasts about 6 months.

David L. Abramson, MD

Tummy tuck: looking good

+1

Most people will look good after about 6 weeks. Maybe not bikini good, however! That's more likely to take 3 months.Have fun with your new look!

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

I agree with what others have said- about 2 weeks back to work, 6 weeks before strenuous activities.  Count on 2-3 months before you look almost normal (not counting the fading of your scars).  If you get implants with your lift they generally will drop into place by 3 months.  Scars may take 1-2 years to fade in the worse case.  You should be able to cover your scars with anything your wear including a bikini.  Keep in mind that it will be a few weeks before you can get in the water (for summer:-). 

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

How long before you look good after tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

After a tummy tuck and a breast lift you will notice an immediate improvement in appearance of your abdomen and breasts.  I generally tell my patients that in two weeks they should be walking straight and be able to return to a desk job.  The breast lift is less painful post operatively than a tummy tuck. Because of the tummy tuck normal activities do not start until 6 weeks after surgery as a rule.  Looking good in a bikini could take 2 to 3 months.  Be careful not to sun bathe for 6 months and use a lot of sunscreen.  Hope this is helpful.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon