Back Liposuction for Wedding Dress Fit

I am on a workout regime but this area is giving me a hard time.  I 'm considering liposuction on my upper back (around my shoulder blades). Would that reduce my back fat to allow the zipper to close without appearing too tight?

Liposuction of upper back is difficult but possible

+3

Liposuction of the upper back region is more difficult and less reliable than liposuction of other areas such as the tummy. Most likely this is because the skin of the upper back is densly adherant to the underlying muscles. Laser liposuction can be done, but any liposuction procedure will have a better result after weight loss first.

The size of your chest, muscles and breasts are the main determinant of whether you can zip the dress in the photo and I do not think liposuction will make a difference in the ability to zip the dress. Weight loss will help and is the best option.

Fat of the upper back is difficult to remove through liposuction.

+2

However, I don't think the fat on your back is an issue.  Based on the photo that you have shown it appears that it is the dress that should be altered.   You can easily have liposuction of your arms with great results but the upper back is more challenging and not necessary in your situation.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Liposuction of the upper back

+1

I would have two primary concerns about liposuction in your upper back. First of all, liposuction results aren’t always predictable. With the fat in the area removed, you may still have some looseness in your skin following the procedure that ends up causing the same problem with the dress fitting as before the lipo.

Secondly, liposuction in this area can be very challenging from a technical standpoint. There are a lot of dense, fibrous muscles in the upper back and shoulder area that make removal of fat cells more difficult. That being said, I think a surgeon who is very skillful and experienced could make a difference.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Liposuction of Back Bra Roll

+1

Liposuction of the back bra roll and upper back is challenging, but possible.  The most challenging part is managing expectations.  While patients and surgeons both want the rolls in this area completely gone, this is typically not possible.  Generally, you can expect a 60% improvement in this area, but most likely you will still have some residual roll - especially if you have excess skin in this area.  Fat in this area is typically denser and more fibrous than fat in other areas and the back skin is firmly stuck to the tissues underneath.  The other tricky issue with liposuction of the upper back is scar placement.  I typically do not use incisions directly on the upper back because they would be visible when you wear backless tops, swimwear, etc.  Patients with heavy back bra rolls with redundant skin may require excision of these rolls - generally this puts a visible scar in the middle of the back near the bra line.  These are some of the options for you and your plastic surgeon to discuss.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Liposuction of the upper back

+1

There is no way to definitiively answer that.

Liposuction can and will reduce the upper back fat. I have found that ultrasonic assisted lipoplasty is useful in removing fat in this area.

However, the behavior of the skin is unpredictable and this garment may still gather loose skin in the upper back creating a crease. Overall, I would expect that the garment would not feel as tight.

There is no doubt that other techniques such as microcannula, traditional, power assisted, or laser assisted liposuction technques can be used and will be recommeded by other practitioners.

Clearly, on your workout regime, I would advise you to avoid any excercises that would build up your latissimus dorsi ("lats") because this will only make your garment feel tighter. Many personal trainers advise this because they want to build up your muscle tone without regard for how you clothes fit.

Liposuction or coolsculpting of the back

+1

Liposuction of the back works well. A non surgical alternative now offered is Coolsculping or fat freezing.  This is a non invasive, non surgical treatment option that works well for the upper back and bra line.  It is less expensive than liposuction and there is NO DOWN TIME!!!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon