Swelling from Exercise After Liposuction

I had Liposelection performed on my inner thigh 13 months ago. After intense exercise this area swells. The swelling is sometimes resolved with massage. Is this normal? What can I do to prevent this?

Liposuction swelling after exercise probably normal

+1

In 30 years of performing liposuction, I have never had a patient complain of swelling in the suctioned area. Having said that, it is normal for you and there is nothing I know of to treat this, and it doesn't really require treatment. If it progresses or you are concerned, you should see your doctor to check on this.

Compression garments could help swelling during exercise

+1

Give it more time. Depending on what specifically was done surgically, the circulation and lymphatic drainage is probably recovering. By this time, the usual inflammatory phase of healing following trauma should be resolve. You might want to wear a compression type garment or exercise wear to prevent the swelling while you exercise.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Any surgery may cause swelling after exercise

+1

Any surgery can have an effect on lymphatic circulation, which may contribute to swelling after exercise. Scars can take up to 2 years to stablilize, so you still may see some improvement in this.

I would recommend wearing compression garments (spandex type such as under armour or spanx) over the effected area to minimize the swelling while exercising.