Visible and Hard Lump After Liposuction (photo)

I just had abdominal Liposuction 10 days ago on my lower abdomen (I had a tummy tuck about one year ago and still had this little pocket of fat) and I have been great. But this morning, I could actually see a visible lump a little larger than a marble. It is hard to touch. I've been good about wearing my compression garment but I was more active the day before this happened. I was going up and down quite a few flights of stairs. Could this have caused it? What do you think it is? I'm a little worried about it and called the doctor today. They want to see me later this week, so I will get it checked out, but I don't want to worry until then. Any advice? Thank you!

Lump after Liposuction could be several things

+3

It could be:

1. fat necrosis (very firm)
  2. seroma (fluid wave)
  3. hematoma (doughy)
  4. edema (puffy)
  5. infection (red/warm/tender)

As long as it is not getting progressively larger or associated with the combination of pain/swelling/tenderness/redness/warmth, there are no urgent concerns for treatment.

Contour Irregularities are Common Following Liposuction and Can be Treated by Compression Garments & Massage

+1

It’s not uncommon for patients to have lumps and bumps following liposuction. Contour irregularities may have a variety of potential causes. These may include; differential swelling, fat necrosis, seromas and hematomas. They are usually transient and respond to conservative management with compression garments and massage. Rarely, aspiration is necessary when hematomas and seromas are present. In most cases, these problems have no effect on the long term results of liposuction.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Hard lumps post liposuction.

+1

Hello. The visible hard lump could be a few things. I would recommend you contact your surgeon to be examined and make sure that everything is okay. Keep in mind that hard spots after liposuction is very common for the first few months.

Jaime Perez, MD

Lump after liposuction

+1

The area of concern may be swelling after all that acitivity.  It can be several other things as well and is best evaluated in person by your doctor.

Seroma after liposuction rare complication.

+1

Hi.

You probably have a collection of liquid ( a seroma) after liposuction that needs to be removed with a needle. See your surgeon right away. Otherwise, it's internal scar tissue.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Most likely inflammed area due to variety of possiblilities

+1

Definitely get seen by your doctor ASAP. I usually recommend a gentle massage in that area if tolerated, depending on pain level. Did you take Arnica post-operatively? Are you wearing an appropriately fit garment?

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon