Tummy Tuck with Liposuction on my Back?

I plan on having a tummy tuck in a few months after I get to my weight goal and I would also like to have liposuction on my sides and back. My doctor told me that he couldnt do the back and the only way was to cut me all the way around from the front to the back. Is this true? why can't he just do liposuction on my back & sides?

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+4

There is no one right answer, as literature varies in what is considered safe. In appropriate candidates, I think it is safe to perform liposuction of the flanks (your "sides") at the same time as a tummy tuck. I would not perform liposuction of your upper back in conjunction with a tummy tuck, as a significant component of the blood supply for the tummy tuck flap follows the direction of the ribs (it travels from your back to the front, traveling downwards.) Liposuction can traumatize these little vessels, and interfere with blood flow to the furthest portion of the flap. This could lead to wound healing problems, or even loss of the skin from your belly button down.

Tummy tuck can be done together with liposuction of sides and back.

+2

Hi.

1) We often do liposuction of the sides (waist and love handles) and of the back together with a tummy tuck. The only reason to "cut all the way around" (body lift) is if you have a great deal of very loose skin in the back. We see this only in people who have lost a massive amount (like 150 pounds) of weight.

2) Also you don't need to be at your absolutely ideal weight to benefit by these procedures.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

SmartLIPO MPX may be ideal if your "back fat" is a small volume.

+2

The novel Smartlipo MPX platform combines the benefits of the 1064 nm and 1320 nm wavelengths with the unique patented MultiPlex technology.

Smartlipo MPX is also SmartSenseā„¢ ready to take advantage of the intelligent delivery system, enhancing safety and uniformity of energy delivery for superior aesthetic outcomes.

Safe and consistent distribution of thermal energy supported with extensive clinical studies and research
Reduce treatment time by blending the clinical benefits of the two wavelengths
Combine the properties of two wavelengths for effective lipolysis and tissue coagulation resulting in tissue tightening
Feature a unique intelligent delivery system for safe and uniform energy delivery
Features and Benefits

1064 nm Wavelength
Enhanced hemostatic effect for less surgical trauma and faster recovery
Skin tightening by heating collagen bundles in dermis
1320 nm Wavelength
Robustly absorbed by water resulting in high efficiency lipolysis
MultiPlex
Better control of total energy delivered for enhanced safety
Blended thermal and photomechanical effects for effective lipolysis and skin tightening

Worth checking into especially with the new extra skin tightening wavelngth added! 2 Laser treatments in 1 !

Shino Bay Aguilera, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction of the back

+1

There are many options for treatment of the back in conjunction with a tummy tuck. Perhaps the surgeon was suggesting a circumferential excision procedure because your lower back is very loose?

Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) CAN be done with Liposuction of the back

+1

Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) CAN and often SHOULD be done with Liposuction of the back and hips.

Even in women who are at or near ideal weight, stubborn fat deposits on the back and hips make the buttock appear flat. As the tummy is flattened and waist is narrowed by the tummy tuck, these fat deposits, IF LEFT UNTREATED, may make the hips appear larger after the tummy tuck procedure is completed.

On the other hand, liposuctioning of the back WILL define the buttock cheeks and the V zone between them as well as narrow and define the hips. It can GREATLY enhance the results of a Tummy Tuck in many women.

IF you have such fat deposits, I cannot explain why your Plastic surgeon refused to do your liposuction and offered you a Lower Body Lift instead. In my opinion, this operation is much more complicated and requires a lengthy recovery. It should be reserved to massive weight loss cases with serious drooping of the thighs and buttock.

Dr. P. Aldea

Let's sort this out

+1

If you need a tummy tuck for your abdomen because of post-pregnancy changes and have some redundant fat in the flanks (ie a "muffin top"), it is possible to do some flank liposuction at the same time as the tummy tuck.

If you have more issues in the back than that and if you do not have significant extra skin in the back area, liposuction can be done to the back but it is safer to do it at a second procedure.

The only reason to "cut you all the way around" is if you have substantial extra skin in the back such as can occur with massive weight loss requiring that this skin be removed because it will not shrink with liposuction alone. This is still safer, in my opinion, to deal with at a second operation rather than at the same time as a tummy tuck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

The excisional technique is probably better than back liposuction

+1

If your doctor told you the only way to treat your back was to "cut me all the way around," then you likely have a significant amount of extra skin and rolls in the back area. Few plastic surgeons are going to do a circumferential abdominoplasty unless you really need it. I am basing this answer on this assumption.

Combined with a tummy tuck, liposuction is usually safe in the lower back/flanks but not in the upper bra fat area as the blood supply to the tummy tuck will come from here and can be damaged with liposuction. A circumferential procedure as you were offered is a very powerful way of eliminating all of the extra skin, fat, and rolls that many patients have.

I would stay away from Smartlipo for this issue just based on the fact that I do not find (in my practice anyway) that Smartlipo is anywhere nearly as strong as a procedure as the excisional technique you were offered. If you are looking for the strongest result, it will be from the excisional procedure.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon