How Much Weight Can I Lose After Liposuction?

I weigh 232 pounds. How much weight can lipo take off from my stomach and abs? How many pounds of my weight can lipo take off my stomach and abs?

Please stop asking about losing weight from liposuction!!

+5

You cannot safely lose any significant weight from liposuction - period.  The only proper use of this procedure is in contouring problem areas after diet and exercise have failed.  In a rare case, some liposuction can jump start a weight loss program but this use should be very rare. 

Liposuction as a weight loss method

+2
Liposuction is not effective as a weight loss method. Liposuction is a body contouring procedure that works best on patients who are already their ideal weight but have problem areas they wish to target for contouring. The amount of actual weight loss following liposuction is nominal with even the largest of liposuction procedures.  Patients should not expect to lose more than 5-7 pounds from a liposuction procedure.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

LIposuction of the body - Los Angeles

+2

Most liposuction experts will tell you that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure, but rather a sculpting procedure for the body. That being said, liposuction can still help you lose significant amounts of body fat. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Liposuction Is Not A Weight-Loss Procedure

+2

It's important to realize that liposuction is not a weight loss operation. The procedure is designed to improve contour by addressing localized fat collections that adversely impact body contour. The best candidates for liposuction have localized fat collections with ideal body weight and good skin tone.
The fat removed rarely weighs more than five pounds. Therefore, the procedure can't remove enough weight to significantly affect any patients' overall weight. Liposuction has some of the highest satisfaction rates seen in plastic surgery, but this is dependent upon using the procedure appropriately.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weight loss method

+2

It’s important to understand that liposuction is not a weight loss method. It is a procedure designed for body contouring in patients of a healthy weight.  While liposuction may be performed to eliminate isolated areas of excess fat on the abdomen, undergoing the procedure while overweight increases your risk of developing surgery-related and healing complications.  The best liposuction results are achieved after excess weight is lost through a healthy diet and exercise routine to rid the body of stubborn areas of fat that don’t respond to these methods.

C. Edwin Pittman, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss with Liposuction

+2

Liposuction is not considered a way to loose weight. Most patients loose only about 2-5 pounds. The best liposuction candidate is someone at a fairly stable weight, with areas of exercise resistant fatty deposits. However, liposuction can still be done on someone that is in the process of loosing weight. I have seen it work as a "jump-start" for patients. Taking off the initial excess fatty tissue on someone's stomach may make them feel better, and want to improve exercise and diet.

I always talk to my patients at the consultation about ideal weight, what weight they are at now, expectations, and individual results. Sometimes, we have to work out an initial weight loss program and then re-visit the idea of liposuction in a few months.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Weight Loss

+2

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool.  Instead, liposuction is meant to improve problem areas resistant to diet and exercise.  There is no clear endpoint when the patient is markedly overweight and the results are almost always very disappointing to both the patient and the surgeon.  Although it may seem motivating to undergo liposuction first as one begins a life changing exercise and weight loss program, the investment is much more prudent and meaningful when the patient is at or near the goal weight.      

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD

You will gain weight after liposuction due to fluid administration

+2

It is a common mistake to believe you will lose weight after liposuction. Because IV fluids are administered during liposuction, most patients gain weight during the procedure. Thats OK, you will look thinner after a properly done liposuction.

1000 cc's of fat weighs 2.2 pounds. Thus if 3000cc's of fat are removed during liposuction you will loose 6.6 ponds of fat.

But dont expect it to show on the scale. As you recover from liposuction surgery and if you watch your diet eventually you may see the difference on the scale.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Not an ounce of weight loss after Liposuction!

+2

Dear Destiny

Liposuction will no produce a bit of permanent weight reduction I am sorry to say.

What you weight is determined by what your eat and what you metabolize. If you eat less or exercise more, you will loose weight. However, if you have liposuction, every bit of the fat that is removed will find its way back onto your body. The fat will be less of an issue where it was removed by liposuction and tends to be more uniformly distributed, which is why liposuction is all about body shaping.

If you are looking to actually loose weight, don't waste your money on liposuction. You can spend much less working with a dietician and find a work out that you can safely do 5 or 6 times a week. If this old fashion way of loosing weight does not work for you, you might look into lap band surgery.

Liposuction is NOT a weight loss solution

+1
While liposuction can take off a few pounds at most, most patients gain this weight back almost immediately. The improvement is in a patient's contour, not his/her weight. Even if he/she does not gain it back, the weight reduction will be extremely small in comparison to what you are looking for. I recommend you see a doctor who specializes in weight loss to see if weight loss surgery might be a good option for you. 

David Rapaport, MD