Will Liposuction Help or Hurt a Diabetic Patient?

I am a 5 yr diabetic, which is not well controlled. I weigh 165lbs at 5'4''. Can having the surgery help or harm me?

Uncontrolled blood sugar and surgery

+1
Your question is very general.  There are risks of undergoing surgery if you are diabetic and your sugars are not well controlled.  Please see your endocrinologist and come up with a plan for controlling your sugars.  Once you are stable, then consider surgery.

Liposuction in a Diabetic Patient

+1

Good Morning Shab,

Patients with diabetes have a slightly higher risk for complications such as wound healing and infection. Fortunately, these are rare occurrences and a diabetic patient can certainly be an excellent candidate for liposuction. It is important to recognize that liposuction can help to remove excess fat and improve contour in various areas, but it will provide little beneficial effect associated with to the physiologic issues associated with diabetes.

Interstingly, I have found is that many of my patients with a weight problem have used liposuction as an impetus for behavior modification including diet and exercise routines that provide long term results. If for no other reason, work with your doctor to get your diabetes well-controlled so you can minimize the complications associated with your condition.

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Get your blood sugar under control

+1

Diabetics can have an increased complication rate after surgery. Longer healing times and a higher infection can occur, but they are much more common in patients that don't have a tightly controlled blood glucose level. That is in addition to the other medical problems that uncontrolled diabetes can cause. Once your blood sugar is in control, you can have a great result with liposuction just like any other patient and I have performed liposuction on several diabetics with a wonderful outcome. Good luck.

Shain A. Cuber, MD

Liposuction may be harmful if you don't control your glucose

+1

Many diabetic patients think that if I reduce my fat, I will reduce my diabetes. It is not true. A type I diabetic does not produce insulin from the pancreas, so losing weight or fat will not change that condition. A type II diabetic, or adult onset, is usually genetic and is related to being overweight or obese. Liposuction normally removes only 2-3 pounds, so it will not have any affect on your control

You need to be aware that uncontrolled diabetes increases your risk of infection and poor healing. So there doesn't seem to be any reason to consider liposuction. Also remember that poorly controlled diabetes will ultimately lead to kidney problems, arterial blockage and vision problems. The better your control, the lower the risks.

Discuss these issues with your Diabetes MD.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD

Liposuction with diabetes

+1

You should be fine having liposuction with diabetes, but make sure your sugars are well controlled around the time of surgery. Also, whether or not liposuction is beneficial to alleviate diabetes is controversial. So, don't have the procedure if your goal is to cure your diabetes. Talk with your plastic surgeon about your aesthetic goals to make sure it's safe for you and make sure your primary care doctor clears you for any surgical procedure. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Surgery in a diabetic

+1

Dear Shab

The problem is not the diabetes but the control. I have operated on many diabetics successfully and without complication. I suggest you discuss your problem with your internist and if need be your endocrinologist. Once under control most plastic surgeons have no problem with conservative liposuction on a diabetic with clearance from their medical doctors.

Good Luck!

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction in diabetic patients

+1

I would be very careful with cosmetic surgery. Diabetics tend to have higher complication rates, especially with liposuction. I generaly will not operate on patients whose diabetes is not well controlled.

I recomend that you talk to your family physician first about your surgical plans. Your diabetes should be well controlled before having any cosmetic surgery.

Michael Diaz, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon