Liposuction Before Pregnancy? Is liposuction advised for someone who is planning to have a baby in the next 1-2 yrs?

I always hear of people getting liposuction to get their body back after having a baby, but what about if you want the lipo before the baby? Is liposuction advised for someone who is planning to have a baby in the next 1-2 yrs?

Think of it as a short term investment - is it worth the expense?

+5

Assume that having a baby will stretch your skin, add new pockets of fat, rotate the pelvic bones and stretch the muscles that make your body look like an hourglass. With these ideas in mind, liposuction will be as temporary as the time between the surgery and your pregnancy?

Also, after liposuction, there will be some time until the swelling goes down, so that you can enjoy the results.

Is the time between the surgery and when you get pregnant worth the costs, downtime and surgical risks? Only you know for sure! If it was me, I would save the money and spend the money on some baby furniture.

Best of luck! Robert M.Freund, MD, FACS

Liposuction before pregnancy

+3

There are no known ill effects on the baby in patients who have undergone liposuction before becoming pregnant.

The decision is entirely up to the patient.

After having all their children, many women opt to have their abdomens and breasts restored; the decision to have liposuction before pregnancy doesn't affect the post-pregnancy appearance either.

A healthy pregnancy these days is both fashionable and recommended. Many ladies find it is nice to enter into this tough period with a little help.

Brent Moelleken, MD

It's entirely up to you

+3

Even though you are planning to get pregnant in 1-2 years, there is no certainty that this will happen. IF you would be happier NOW with your body after liposuction, you should go ahead and do it. It would have no bearing on pregnancy. You might need something after you are done having children like a tummy tuck but this isn't related to whether or not you had liposuction before pregnancy.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

There is no contra-indication to liposuction

+3

Gblu, There is no contra-indication to liposuction if you are planning on becoming pregnant in the next year or so.

The procedures that patients typically have after having a baby have more to do with correcting the loose skin and stretch marks. These usually involves an abdominoplasty. If you have liposuction a few years before your abdomioplasty, you may actually end up with an even better result.

So my advice would be to go for it.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

I would wait until after pregnancy

+3

The doctors below have given sound advice.

You definitely will gain weight during pregnancy and your tummy skin will be stretched.

If your shape does not return to normal after pregnacy then you can consider a body contouring procedure like liposuction or laser liposculpture.

I also am not comfortable with creating a surgical wound beneath the tummy skin knowing that the skin will have to stretch and expand during pregnancy at a later date.

I don't think it would be a major factor, but I don't know for certain, so why take the risk?

I would save your money now anticipating that you may want to invest in body contouring after you are finished having children

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

The timing of liposuction is really up to you.

+2

Liposuction is an ideal procedure for body contouring and removal of fat from stubborn pockets that don't go away despite weight loss.  The stubborn pockets are genetic so they will be there before and after pregnancy.  The best time for liposuction is when you can fit it in your work/life schedule.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Liposuction is performed in many patients prior to childbirth

+2

Liposuction can be performed in women prior to childbirth or following childbirth. Patients who are good candidates for liposuction have isolated areas of stubborn "pockets" of fatty tissue that is resistant to exercise. Patients that achieve the best results have excellent skin elasticity that "shrinks" back nicely following fat removal.

Following childbirth, many women's abdominal skin no longer has good elasticity and has numerous stretch marks. These patients are not ideal candidates for liposuction of the abdomen and may be better served from an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).

Sanjay Grover, MD

Liposuction now - Why not?

+2

If you have areas of concern that are resistant to diet and exercise, I think it is a good idea. It will make losing the baby weight a little easier, since those fat deposits will be eliminated.

Of course, it is always important to discuss possible future pregnany with your plastic surgeon during your consultation. Laser Liposuction or SmartLipo is a great idea since it can be done with a local anesthesia. This will eliminate the concern of the effects of a general anesthesia.

Linda Swanson, MD

SURE, have it and look good Now. It will make trying to get pregnant more fun!

+2

There are no negative consequences to having liposuction now and getting pregnant 1-2 yrs later. There are actually a few good reasons to do it now. One is that the fat cells we remove are gone for good so if you later gain weight from the pregnancy, which you will, then you won't gain as much in your mid section so you won't look as fat during the pregnancy and thus you won't have to loose as much fat in the mid section after the pregnancy either. You will be a pretty pregnant woman and looking hot quicker after the pregnancy is over.

Also with less fat in the abdomen and thighs from the liposuction then there is less stress on the lymphatic and vascular systems in the groin area. When you do get pregnant , the weight of the baby and fat from weight gain can cause excess swelling and varicose veins in the legs and feet from this pressure in the groin areas. Theoretically, there may be less varicose veins and leg swelling if you've previously had liposuction. Mind you this is all theoretical but makes sense.

And last but not least, you may enjoy your new look so much more that you may want to practice more. I know your significant other will after he sees your new body.

Sincerely,

Dr. David Hansen

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

It is OK to have liposuction before pregnancy.

+2

Liposuction is good for treating localized bulges (typically in the thighs) and the results are very long lasting. You will put on weight during your pregnancy, but the bulges do not come back.

I have seen several women go through liposuction followed by pregnancy. Some lost all the weight after the pregnancy and some didn't. But the bulges did not come back in any of them.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)