Should I Have Multiple Different Size Compression Garments As Opposed to Just One?

I read on some forums that there should be different size compression garments worn for each stage of liposuction. ie. as you get smaller from the decreasing swelling. However, my surgeon only provided me with one. Will I end up not having the best results possible because of this?

Compression Garments After Liposuction

+2

My coordinator will order two garments for post liposuction patients. There is something called a stage one garment which has a zipper or hooks for easier on and off after surgery. This could be one size larger than the stage 2 garment but doesn't have to be. The stage two garment is usually slip on (without hooks or zipper). We order two for our patients so they'll always have a clean one as I ask that my patients wear their garment for 10 days full time and second 10 days for 12 hours.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Compression Garment Size

+2

Years ago people were wearing compression garments for a month after liposuction. Now, we are down to three to five days for most cases.

I tell people to wear the garment for 24 hours after the drainage stops. Any additional time is just for a person's comfort. You can wear other "department store type" supportive garments after the initial 3-5 day period. There are many lines of elastic undergarments that can help provide support and many people really rave about them.

However, wearing a compression garment longer will not improve the final results.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Compression Garments Following Liposuction

+1

There is no scientific evidence that compression garments affect the long-term results following liposuction.  However, most plastic surgeons recommend some type of compression garment following liposuction to reduce post-operative swelling.  Often the garment used in surgery can be replaced with a new garment 7-10 days later that fits better and is more comfortable to wear on a daily basis.  Often the surgical garments are more limited in size and style and may not provide the perfect fit for everyone.  The garment provided by your plastic surgeon may not be ideal for longer term use and a department store replacement might be more comfortable.  The exact garment type or style will not have a long-term impact on your result.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon