Is It Possible To Have Liposuction Done to the Fat Around the Knee Caps? (Photo)

I am 28, female, 125lbs, 5'7. I have very stubborn fat in my knees (above knee cap and on one side) and thighs. My figure is very unbalanced. I have spent much of my childhood being teased for this. As an adult I constantly hide my knees. Also, I have been on birth control for 10 years that has 30mcg estrogen, and am now changing to a pill that has 20mcg. Could liposuction meaningfully change the shape of my legs? What type of liposuction would be best, and what kind of recovery should i expect?

Liposuction of the Knee Can Create Better Inner Leg Shape

+2

Liposuction can be very effective at providing some definition to knees that are otherwise full, fat or unshapely. It works best at removing fat from the inside of the knee and creating a more straight transition across the knee from the thigh to the calf rather than an outward bulge. Some fullness above the knee cap (suprapatellar region) can also be reduced. It doesn't really matter what type of liposuction is used for knee contouring provided it is a small cannula technique. The biggest recovery issue with knee liposuction is that they will be stiff and sore for up to a month or longer as it involves treatment across a moveable joint area. 

Is It Possible To Have Liposuction Done to the Fat Around the Knee Caps?

+1

I think the key question that you have asked is "could liposuction meaningfully change the shape of my legs?"  

In reviewing your photos your knees are really not too bad.  Yes, there is a little fat on the inner aspect of your knees which would respond very nicely to liposuction but I do not see excessive fat above your knees. (This is the problem with only looking at photos and not being able to examine you.)  I would see a board certified plastic surgeon and have this discussion with him/her to avoid being disappointed after surgery.  

p.s. please do not hide your knees you do not have anything to be ashamed about. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Liposuction around the knee caps

+1

Liposuction can be performed in this area to balance leg contours using a micro-cannula. The type of liposuction should not make a difference as long as your surgeon is experienced in the procedure. Recovery is usually one to two days.

Donna Rich, MD

Liposuction around the knees makes a nice improvement and is easy.

+1

Liposuction is easy to undergo and makes a nice improvement in areas unresponsive to diet and exercise such as the knees.  It is done with the micro cannulas and under local anesthesia with 1 day downtime for roughly $4000.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Questions about liposuction around the knees and thigh

+1

As is so common, you are extremely self-conscious about an issue which is not of very great severity but that is OK. You do have fat on your inner thighs which can respond well to liposuction. The fat in front by your knee caps is not quite evident.

You should contact a local board certified plastic surgeon who can perform a thorough examination and provide you with an assessment and recommendations. Your situation is fairly minor and the recuperation should be of a similar nature.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD