Upper Thight Numbness 10 Months After TT, Will It Affect Lipo of Thigh?

Hello, I had a full TT with lipo of flanks last November which I very happy with. I have the usual numbness is center of stomach and my rt upper thigh is still very numb after 10 months. I want to get lipo of upper thighs and was wondering if this numbness is going to affect the procedure or present a larger risk of side effects if it is done on this area. I wasn't sure if this would present a higher risk for circulation problems or clotting during or after the procedure.

Numbness of thigh following a tummy tuck will have no impact on risks or results of contemplated liposuction of outer thighs

+2

I fully concur with Dr. Johnson's explanation of the probable cause of your numbness as well as the indisputable fact that this will have no impact whatsoever on your risks or results from contemplated liposuction of the upper thighs.

Good luck!

Thigh numbness after tummy tuck

+2

The numb area in your upper thigh may be related to an injury to the nerve which comes over the top of the hip bone, and gives feeling to the upper and outer thigh. If the nerve is stretched or caught along the incision line it may get better, though after 10 months you should have seen progress. The numbness will not interfere with your liposuction.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy tucks and thigh pain

+1

You are experiencing a well known potential complication from a tummy tuck. Partial anterior thigh numbness is occasionally caused by entrapping a nerve that comes over the front of your pelvic bone. These are the bony prominences you feel on both sides right above your hip joint. Surgeons often place sutures into the strong tissue in this area to secure the incision site from migrating upward due to the necessary tension placed on the skin closure. Most of the time the sutures loosen slightly and the nerve recovers. 

At this point, no improvement is worrisome. The nerve could have been cut in some way or could have been cut by the needle on the suture. That would cause continued pain, although you can still see some improvement up to a year after the procedure, classically. It has been reported that in some cases re-exploration and removal of any permanent sutures in that area may be helpful but improvement is not consistent. 

I wish you the best. 

Jay Burns, MD