Looking like a train wreck from a Bad Results from Chin/Neck Liposuction, What are My Best Options for Fixing This? (Photos)

Nothing is as disheartening as being told your the perfect candidate for chin and neck liposuction then coming out of that procedure looking like a train ran across your neck! I'm now going into my second try at trying to fix this. What would you suggest I do? Any opinion would help, thanks

How to fix my neck

+5

My opinion, judging from the limited information available in your photographs, is that the best method of revision to achieve a smooth, snug, natural, attractive, and  youthful neck contour at this point in time would be open neckplasty with wide cutaneous mobilization, contouring of fat under direct vision, adjunctive revisions as necessary, corset platysmaplasty, and likely repositioning of skin and platysma to include the lower face as well as the neck.   Again, the above is conjecture only, and the most valuable advice will come from a board certified plastic surgeon after in person consultation and evaluation.

Liposuction Revision?

+4

Thank you for the question and picture. It is not possible for me to know if you were a good candidate for liposuction initially. I do know, however, that further liposuction is not in your best interests. I would agree with Dr.Rand that waiting for a period of at least 6 months after your 1st surgery and then proceeding with lower face/ necklifting  will more likely achieve the results you're looking for.  Please make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Poor neck surgery results - ?right technique

+4

In my opinion you were probably not a "perfect candidate" for liposuction because of skin excess and platysma banding.  I would strongly suggest you wait until the tissues have softened, at least 4-6 months, and consider a neck lift or a facelift because these will treat the skin excess, muscle banding and can improve the irregularities.  It may not ever be as good as it could have been the first time but that opportunity is gone.  As I haven't examined you, this can't be taken as medical advice but I would go se a few real plastic surgeons to see what would be best. Sorry for your troubles, but more liposuction isn't the best plan here.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Candidate for neck liposuction

+3

Although it would be helpful to see your pre operative photos, it is clear from your post operative photos that you were not a good candidate for Liposuction. 

I don't know your age, but it appears you were old enough to have poor skin elasticity as you have excess skin after the liposuction procedure. More importantly, if any patient of mine is over 40 years old, we discuss the possibility of poor skin retraction and loose skin, as well as the very real possibility of exposing the underlying muscle laxity in the neck. when the fat is removed the muscle bands are exposed if they are present. Your pre op photos may have shown evidence of their presence, but after a certain age, this possibility can always occur.  

You clearly have muscle laxity in your neck that is medically called "platysmal banding". The vertical band that you have exposed on the left side of your neck is one of these bands. It's presence is evidence that liposuction is not a good option for you. These bands can only be addressed adequately by surgical intervention. 

My suggestion is that you must wait 6 months to a year until this area under your chin stabilizes and softens up, then have an experienced surgeon perform a face/neck lift on you to correct this problem. The good news is that this problem has a good remedy. You must be patient and also realize there are no shortcuts to success. 

Jay Burns, MD

Salvage of bad result from neck lipo

+3

I don't have complete history, but I would be all in to get the best result this time around- this will be your best chance ever.  My recommendation is at least a neck lift, removal of lax skin, excess fat, and tightening of the neck muscles.

I think you still have a chance to look great, but make it your best shot!

Good luck, chin up.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Bad Results from Chin/Neck Liposuction, What are My Best Options for Fixing This?

+3

You need to make absolutely certain you do 2 things:

1.  You must wait at least 6 months from the time of your first procedure before having further surgery, and

2.  You must be in the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon. I would suggest you seek a couple of opinions from highly qualified practitioners.

You will likely need a facelift including skillful contouring of what remains of your neck fat, addressing the platysma (muscle) banding and wide redraping of your skin. You may need a touchup or two following even a great operation.

It would not be realistic to expect a perfect outcome. However, it should be possible to improve your situation significantly.

All the best.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

A second opinon may be helpful

+3

You were probably not a great candidate for liposuction.  This is not a good outcome.  I would not liposuction again but now you need at least a neck lift or re draping of the skin to even out the skin directly, treat the platysma banding and tighten the skin.  You must wait for the tissue to soften about 6 months unfortunately.  You need to have confidence in your surgeon to get you through this, if not a second opinion is indicated.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

What to do after bad results from neck liposuction

+3

There are basically 3 things that can affect the neck with respect to aging:  excess fat, excess skin, muscle banding, or any combination of the 3.  It appears that you have both excess skin and muscle banding right now, and I would assume that you had some excess fat that has since been removed.  In your case, it has made the excess skin and banding more obvious.  Depending upon how long ago your procedure was, I would wait at least 8-12 months until you are fully healed, and then I would see a board-certifed plastic surgeon to undergo a necklift procedure which would entail repair of the banding and removal of the excess skin.  You may, at a later stage, need some fat grafting to smooth out any irregularities that have resulted from your original surgery.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Bad Results from Chin/Neck Liposuction, What are My Best Options for Fixing This? (Photos)

+2

You are a "perfect candidate" for an imperfect choice of operation or an imperfect surgeon. As Dr Rand recommends wait than consider open surgery options not more liposuction. 

Bad result from chin/neck treatment

+1

Sorry that you had this experience. I have not examined you, but it looks like you had more than just liposuction. It looks like a "depressed" scar under your chin. There is uneven subcutaneous fat, platysma bands, and a visible left submandibular gland. In my expert opinion, I would reoperate on this under general anesthesia after several months of healing. The neck skin should be elevated widely, a corset platysmaplasty will correct the bands, and the fat should be tailored/examined both above and below the muscle. Go see a plastic surgeon with much experience with necks.

Good luck.... it can be improved.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon