Can Liposuction Cause Long Term Pain in Hips Month After Surgery?

my friend had a tummy tuck with lipo in feb. she says she has trouble sleep as her legs and hips get sore.

Pain After Liposuction

Thank you for your question. There is scar tissue which forms in the area where fat was removed and this can cause some of the discomfort reported. We find Velashape or Body FX can improve the areas with regard to comfort. I hope this helps!

Pain after lipo

Thanks for your post. I would imagine that the pain you describe is more related to the tummy tuck component as opposed to the liposuction. Straight-forward liposuction procedures do not typically lead to long term pain issues (although certainly are uncomfortable in the first week or two). In fact, I've found that numbness in the treated areas is much more common than any pain issues. The tummy tuck is a much more involved procedure than injure sensory nerves. It is not common for this to be an ongoing problem.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Pain after lipo

very unusual, should not be related, her discomfort may be from something else, I do alot of lipo and have never seen or heard this

David J. Goodkind, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Should have gotten better by now

It is unusual for a patient to have ongoing pain that long after either of the two procedures.

One thought I have is this:

Our body fat serves many purposes.  One is to act as a buffer between our skin and the underlying muscle and bone structures. Perhaps your friend simply has lost some of her padding, causing a new sense of pressure and thus causing pain while sleeping. It's not quite clear to me if your friend's pain is during sleep only or all the time and just keeps her from sleeping.

There are also conditions such as "restless leg syndrome" which can cause pain and sleeplessness. It's possible your friend's leg issues are not related to her previous procedure.  

She should follow up with her plastic surgeon and her primary care doctor.

Hope that helps.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Pain after tummy tuck with liposuction

Long term pain after tummy tuck/liposuction is unusual, and most cases resolve with time and no treatment.  Your friend should go back to her plastic surgeon to review her concerns. 

Below is a link to a fully healed tummy tuck patient. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Pain

I am sorry to hear about that, there is risks of damages to nerves that innervate skin in the groin and hip area, luckilly the majority of these get better with time

Minimal discomfort with Liposuction

After your lipo procedure you may have minimal bruising and swelling, all side effects should subside within the first few days to weeks. If you have continued discomfort it is best to follow up with your surgeon. Good luck in your recovery process.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Pain after liposuction of hips and legs one month post-op

I find that the amount soreness after liposuction is variable, and one month is not too long.
Gentle massage, warm compresses and a ten day course of anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil in a higher dose (up to 1200mg per day) may be helpful assuming that the person tolerates these type of medications.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is possible

if your friend is only one month post op, it is possible that she is still sore in those areas that have been liposuctioned. everyone is different and pain is very subjective. i would reassure her that her pain will go away, it is just that hers is taking a longer time period to go away and to be patient. definitely no treatment is required.

david berman md
plastic surgeon
northern VA

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon