What Kind of Doctor Should I See for Lipoma Removal?

I have a nearly golf ball-sized lipoma on my back, along my shoulder blade. What kind of doctor should I see for lipoma removal?

Dermatologist are the experts for skin and fat under the skin

+3

Dermatologic surgeons do a lot of skin surgery including removal of lipomas. Plastic surgeons may be an alternative.

Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

See a plastic surgeon to have your lipoma removed

+2

General surgeons and plastic surgeons remove most lipomas in Australia. I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon if you are concerned about the appearance of the scar, as plastic surgeons are highly trained and experienced in minimising scars and achieving the best aesthetic results for their patients through a combination of careful scar placement and exacting surgical and wound management techniques.

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

See a plastic surgeon for lipoma removal

+2

Lipoma is a slow-growing, benign soft-tissue, fatty tumor. It is usually situated between skin and the underlying muscle layer. Lipomas can occur at any age; sometimes they run in the families. People want removal when the see the change in the growth or it becomes painful. In that case, you should seek the help of the experieced plastic surgeon. Physicians should easily diagnose the lipoma just by simply looking at it and feeling the firmness of the lump under the skin. In most cases it can be removed at the doctor's office under the local anesthesia. It takes about the week to recover after the procedure.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Lipoma removal

+1
A Dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon can both be qualified to remove lipomas. You will just need to ensure the surgeon you choose has the expertise and interest in the procedure.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

What kind of surgeon should I see to remove a lipoma?

+1
You want a surgeon who is has lots of experience removing lipomas and who is interested in making the scar as inconspicuous as possible. Plastic surgeons are particularly well qualified due to training in techniques to minimize scarring, although general surgeons, ENTs, dermatologic surgeons, orthopaedic surgeons, and OB/GYNs are also able to perform the procedure safely.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Who Should I See for Lipoma Removal

+1

This is a hard question to answer because I remove lipomas using SmartLipo Triplex laser through two 3 mm incisions. I think that most doctors will make a longer incision and remove the lipoma surgically.  If you have a lipoma that requires surgical removal, a board certified plastic surgeon is always an excellent choice because of the attention to doing an excellent closure if you do need to have an incisional procedure.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

+1

A surgery to remove a lipoma (a soft tissue adipose bening tumor) can be performed by different specialists (general surgeon, ENT, maxillofacial surgeon, dermatologist). Just for the fact that the residual scar can be aesthetically noticeable, I believe that a Board Certified Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon, would be the best choice to perform these surgical procedures.

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma surgeons

+1
  • plastic surgeons
  • general surgeons
  • Dermatologic surgeons

all can do lipoma removals, some have more experience than others in surgical principles such as lines of langerhans, knowledge of surgical instruments and types of sutures.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon

Lipomas can be removed by dermatologic or plastic surgeons.

+1

Lipomas can be easily removed through a smaller incision than you expect, by a skilled dermatologic surgeon, or a skilled plastic surgeon. Dermatologists (dermatologic surgeons) are experts in diseases and surgery of the skin (fat is a layer in the skin), and plastic surgeons do a lot of skin surgery as well. Choose the most careful, meticulous, experienced surgeon you can find. This can be done under local anesthesia in an outpatient (office) setting. There is no need for a hospital or general anesthesia.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

See a plastic surgeon for your lipoma

+1

When considering a surgeon for the removal of a lipoma, a plastic surgeon has the most experience in the face and other sensitive areas of your body. However, a plastic surgeon is very comfortable working throughout the body and has a great deal of experience working with lipomas and other masses in the soft tissue. A plastic surgeon understands the lines of tension in your skin and also has an appreciation to how large a defect is necessary and what will be required to close the defect with the least amount of tension in the best possible scar. For best results, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Pat Pazmino, MD