Lipo 1 Wk Ago. Compression Garment is Creasing Between Hips, Waist and is Dented and Painful, Should I Stop Wearing It?

Lipo of abs and flank with fat transfer, one week ago. First garment was ex. small and was denting/creasing between waist and hips. It has become very painful. I have been placing pads (kotex) in the creases to help comfort the pain but it still hurts. I'm worried that this crease that has formed is going to be painful. Dr.s office gave me a small garment but I feel like I need a medium because of all of the swelling. Should I switch to a med. garment? Will the crease become permanent?

DIscomfort from liposuction compression garment

+2
We were discussing this very issue in the office yesterday. I don't know how the manufacturers size the garments but wonder if they are measured for real people! Frequently, it is difficult to find ones that fit all the proportions properly. A garment marked small is typically extra-extra small. If the garment is too tight, it can cause complications. You should release it and contact your plastic surgeon. You probably need a larger garment. I prefer medical garments for the first two weeks and Spanx and other commercially available products thereafter.

Uncomfortable garment after liposuction

+2

You must adjust or replace the garment. It can cause blisters, skin creasing and scarring and delay healing. Plus pain itself is bad for us. How to adjust -- 

1. If a band at the waist or hips is too tight, cut it until it is comfortable.
  2. If the band is too high at the waist, release the hooks (if any) and zipper, fold down the band to waist level.
  3. If you have an adjustable velcro binder, loosen it.

Next, call your surgeon - you need either a larger size or a garment made of softer material. Yes, if you are usually small, medium is good after liposuction because of swelling. 

If you not your surgeon need to replace it - buy a soft elastic garment like Spanx. Ideally try it on first. This is the most common problem after liposuction. Best of luck.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Discomfort from garment after liposuction

+2

The reasons to wear garments after liposuction are comfort and contouring.  The garment should provide smooth and even compression to help shape you as you heal.  If the garment is uncomfortable or fits so poorly that it is causing creases it should not be worn (creasing is very bad as it can cause irregular results).

Wear ANYTHING else as long as it provides some compression and is comfortable.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Painful garment

+1

Yes you should stop wearing it and get the next size compression garment that is not as tight but still imperative that you wear a garment for alest the first 2 weeks and then off and on for another month.

John S. Poser, MD

Liposuction compression garment sizing

+1

I perform a lot of body contouring and liposuction and I think compression garments are an important adjunct to getting a nice result.  First of all there is nothing critical about starting wearing a compression garment at one week and if it is too tight and painful then leave it "unzipped" or simply wear a larger size.  I am sure in several weeks the garment you have will fit just right, but with standard postoperative swelling it may be just a bit tight for you now.  We also use epifoam compression under the garments that we use that helps target compression and adds comfort to the patient.  I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD