Is Lipo Procedure Painful?

I'm havin lipo of my stomach, flanks and lower bk with fat grafft to butt..MY friend told me that while the procedure is being done its hurts. Is it true or she just tryin to scare me of? thanks, I'll aprecated your medical advice.

Is lipo procedure painful?

+2

I perform liposuction under regional anesthesia (peridural or raquis) and mild sedation, not only does a great job during the surgery but also after surgery, keeping the patient out of pain for hours. After the surgery pain killers will do the job so you can deal with the process while you heal.  Maybe your friend went for liposuction with local anesthesia which i don't recommend for body conturing. I only do local anesthesia for liposuction when harvesting for fat transfer to the face, small depressions or to correct small fat deposits areas. 

Is Liposuction Painful?

+1

Most surgeons today perform liposuction under general anesthesia, in which case you are not aware during the procedure. If the procedure is done using a local anesthetic your pain receptors are numbed, but you are still able to feel pressure. This does not “hurt” but many people confuse the pressure for pain. If it is possible I would recommend that you use general anesthesia.

Jaime Perez, MD
Liposuction Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Lipo is not painful

+1

I can speak from personal experince and lipo is more soreness and not really painful.Your doctor will give you pain pills which is all you really need but ice also helps.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a painful procedure.

+1

Liposuction is easy to undergo and almost painless when done by an experiences lipo doc and is so much safer when not done under general anesthesia. Whether it is with only tumescent local anesthesia or with the addition of alittle IV sedation, you should have a pleasant experience and  be telling all your friends how easy it was. My patients watch DVD BluRay 3D movies on a headset during the procedure or take a nape or just listen to soothing music during the whole time. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipo not painful with appropriate anesthesia

+1

While some small volume lipo cases can be done comfortably under straight local (tumescent) anesthesia, I think most patients have a better experience if there is also some intravenous sedation. This is probably the most common way it is done, though some practitioners say it is either tumescent or general. If it is done with appropriate anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility lipo should not be uncomfortable.

Richard Baxter, MD

Is lipo painful?

+1
I perform liposuction, other than minimal procedures, under intravenous sedation so, no, it would not be painful. However, there are many physicians, especially those who do not have accredited facilities and perform procedures under straight local anesthesia, who are unable to offer analgesia to patients and/or do too much under strictly local anesthesia and in such cases, there could be pain.

Robert L. Kraft, MD