Ask a doctor

Do You Have to Be Licensed to Administer Restylane or Botox?

Doctor Answers 18

Yes, to legally inject fillers or Botox in the US, one must be licensed.

Laws vary state by state regarding who is licensed to inject Botox, Dysport, Restylane, Juvederm, and other injectibles. However, not only should you find a legal and licensed injector, you really should also consider the complete background of your injector, since board-certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons are really the only physicians who are formally trained in facial anatomy and the medical care of potential side effects. Find a trained, considerate, and detailed appropriate physician to do your treatments, and you will be happiest overall.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Have a question? Ask a doctor

You do need to be licensed to administer Botox but the dermal fillers

In the United Kingdom, you do need to be licensed to administer Botox but the dermal fillers such as restylane are not classified as many all devices and you do not need to be medically qualified to administer them.

The rules maybe different in America and I think it would certainly be worthwhile viewing some of the answers from your specialists in America regarding this.

Botox should be injected by an experienced professional

In New York State Botox injections must be performed by a licensed individual, but more importantly you should be sure that the person is qualified, and experienced.  Knowledge of the anatomy and anatomical variations is important. Ordering from the correct supplier to ensure that it is FDA-approved product is crucial. Unwanted visual effects from improperly injected Botox take months to go away so it is worth seeing an experienced dermatologist, plastic, ENT facial or oculoplastic surgeon for this treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Do You Have to Be Licensed to Administer Restylane or Botox?

In Florida you must be a MD or DO or Nurse Practitioner or a Physician's Assistant to inject Botox or fillers. It is up to the patient to select an experienced injector. From MIAMI , Dr. Darryl J. Blinski 305 598 0091

You must be a licensed physician

There are variations from state to state as to who can inject without physician supervision, but in all states you must be a licensed MD to purchase Botox. Good common sense suggests that the patient would get best results from a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, but purchasing can be done even by a GYN, GP, or any specialty MD even without aesthetic training. So, buyer beware!

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Legalities for Restylane & Botox Injection Varies from State to State

There are no uniform laws among states for who can and cannot inject these products or drugs.  You will always be safer, however, to have them injected by not only someone who is licensed, but is also a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

John Whitt, MD (retired)
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Injectors of Botox anf fillers

Each state has different requuirements,  I believe in NY a doctor, a PA or a nurse can perform these injections if properly trained.

Steven Wallach, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Yes, a license is required to inject Botox and fillers

Different states have different requirements, some do allow physician assistants and nurse practitioners to inject.  The requirements do not, however, specify what specialty the doctor has to be, so there are many practitioners, doctors, NPs, PAs whose primary specialties are not dermatology or plastic surgery, doing cosmetic procedures.

When looking for a doctor to perform your cosmetic procedures, you definitely want a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, plus you want someone with proper training and experience in injectables and other cosmetic procedures.  They are the most qualified and also the most capable of handlng adverse effects, should those occur.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Medical License For Botox

Yes, Botox should only be administered by a Board Certified Dermatologist, Plastic Surgeon or Ophthalmologist with an active medical license.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

The answer is yes.

Dear Kissimmee

The advice of checking with your State Medical Board is excellent.  Florida has been very progressive in attempting to ensure the safety of Floridians.  However, they can't protect you when you know better but do something anyway.  So if your facialist tells you that she is now performing BOTOX and has a medical director supervising her but there is no doctor in the salon, you should know something is up.  In some cases, doctors will have their essentially unlicensed medical assistant performing injections.  While it is true that the law allows them to draw blood under medical supervision, injecting products like BOTOX and Restylane is considered the practice of medicine and not permitted.  A Registered Nurse in your doctors office can inject these products but only with the doctor on the premises and with a good faith examination by the doctor.  So again if you see a store front advertising these injections and there is only a nurse with no doctor performing these services, in most States, this practice is illegal.  Be safe out there.  Find ethical, board certified physicians and surgeons who perform these services themselves.  You deserve their undivided attention for these very expensive treatments.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Los Angeles Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.