Is It Possible to Use Restylane Only for Frown Lines? Not Botox?

I've had the misfortune of having a permanent frown line between my eyebrows - when frowning AND relaxing - since the age of 22. Seven years later I finally decided to try botox, and had an injection four days ago. While I enjoy seeing my smooth brow, the injection has not completely erased the frown line, and I don't like my stiff, funny expression when I try to raise my eyebrows and only the edges are elevated. When the botox has worn off, can I get an effect from restylane only?

Botox and filler work differently for frown lines between the eyebrows

+1

Botox keeps your corrugator muscles from making the frown line. It sounds like you got a good result at rest.  However, you may have gotten a "spock effect." Revisit your injector and tell her your complaint.  A touchup may help to take away your "stiff-funny" expression.  

Restylane fills in furroughs.  It will take away the line at rest, but it will not keep your muscles from making a frowning face when you are concentrating/angry/etc.  

Restylane and botox actually work very well together for the frown line between the eyebrows.  If you want to pursue restylane, make sure you go to an experienced injector.  The reason is that the frown line is an advanced area; sometimes tissue necrosis can occur in that area so you definitely want to go to someone with experience.

Houston Dermatologist

Only for Frown Lines?

+1

While restylane can be injected by itself for frown lines, botox is the treatment of first choice for frown lines. Restylane is sometimes used in combination for deeper lines. This treatment should only be done by an experienced and expert injector due to the risks.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Yes, Restylane only for a glabellar line works, BUT..reconsider the Botox pattern.

+1

Sounds like you did have some significant Botox placement in your forehead area, but if you had it placed JUST for the vertical frown line between your brows, it should not affect the raising of the eyebrows at all (causing that outer winging), IF done properly.

Fillers like Restylane and Juvederm for sure can be done alone, and there is no problem with that, except that the effect is not as long lasting since you re-crease the area multiple times a day and push the filler away. I would recommend reviewing what Botox was placed where, and considering (next round.... in 3 or 4 months) repeating some Botox but in a different pattern with none on the forehead itself, along WITH your filler.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Can I use just Restylane or Juvederm for frown lines?

+1

Hi Ang.  While it is possible to use just Restylane or Juvederm for this area, we do not inject fillers until after we have injected Botox.  In many cases the frown lines resolve and no fillers are needed.  In other cases, we do need the filler, but much less so than before the Botox.  We would suggest trying the Botox first.

See the pictures for the deep frown line at the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox vs. Juvederm or Restylane for forehead lines

+1
Fillers do not work as well as botox for feadhead lines because as the muscle continues to move the skin continues to crease when Juvederm or Restylane are used but botox makes the skin muscles relax.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Restylane for the Medial Brow Frown Lines

+1

Restylane or Juvederm can work in this area.....but I caution you to have someone who understands the anatomy well.

The supra-orbital vein, artery and nerve are near the injection site.  Make sure that you have someone who understands this anatomy well. 

it is important to remember that the mechanism of how Bo-tox works is by relaxing the muscles at the muscle nerve junction.  If a frown line has been present for many years it may take a number of injections over time to relax the muscle and have an effect.  If there is loss of dermal tissue, one may never have a perfect result.

Cynthia Boxrud, MD
Santa Monica Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Sure but the muscle action can still cause the eleven's. Botox paralyzes vs Restylane fills furrows. Discuss in detail with your chosen injector. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Frown lines

+1

Usually frown lines are treated best with either botox or dysport.   Fillers can help in some regions but an exam would be necessary to assess this.

Botox vs. Restylane for Frown Lines

+1

When is comes to frown lines, Botox works better for most people. It is possible to reduce the frown lines without dramatically affecting the ability to raise the eyebrows. Eyebrow motion is affected with reduction of the transverse forehead wrinkles because both depend on the motion of the frontalis muscle. The frown lines are caused by a different muscle and with careful use, you should be able to relieve your frown lines and maintain eyebrow elevation.

I most often use Restylane in this are when the frown lines are too deep to resolve with just Botox, but I do use it occasionally for patients who don't want Botox.  Since Restylane works by adding volume, the correction must be precise, and there is an upper limit to the amount of Restylane that can be added without causing unwanted glabellar fullness.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Botox is first line treatment for frown lines

+1

Because the cause of the furrow between the eyebrows is a hyperactive muscle, treatments that relax it (Botox or Dysport) are the most effective. An experienced and careful injector can adjust the techique so you won't have the funny expression (you don't need to have a "patented" procedure for this.) There are some patients who have had the furrow for so long that it becomes etched into the skin, in which case the addition of a filler is helpful, but fillers typically don't work all that well in that location as the only treatment.

Richard Baxter, MD