Will Nose Size Decrease As Swelling Goes Down?

I had my surgery 10 days ago. I was uphappy with the size of my nose as i always felt it stuck out too much! 10 days after surgery and it looks no smaller!! Is the length also something which will decrease over time?

Nose size after swelling subsides post-rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the size of your nose after the surgery. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

Without pictures, surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS