Does a Slanted Cast = a Slanted Nose?

I am one day post op and my cast looks like it's going to oneside... Does this mean my cast is shaping the nose in that exact position or is it ok? Little worried since I,ll be so upset if my nose is crooked...please advise!

Nasal splint position/shape does not mean nose position/shape will be the same

Thank you for the question.  I can appreciate your concern as you would want the best result possible.  Most of the time the splint (cast) is placed for swelling purposes and protection and not for shaping purposes.  I think you will be ok but it can never hurt to contact your plastic surgeon and ask him/her directly.

Dr. Remus Repta

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Slanted Cast After Rhinoplasty

Although this question is much better directed toward the operating Surgeon, the appearance of the cast 1 day after Rhinoplasty should not have any bearing on your final result. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

9407 Cypress Lake Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33919

Slanted cast after rhinoplasty

No. The slanted cast could be caused by swelling. I would advise you to be patient as recovery and swelling will take at least 9-12 months or more. Follow up with your surgeon as schedulled

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

1441 Avocado
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Slanted Cast Post Rhinoplasty

A slanted caast does not mean you will have a crooked nose - w hat is done during the operation is much more important as long as the cast is not putting pressure on the nose. Having said that, contact your surgeon immediately.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Slanted Cast After Rhinoplasty...Time to Call Your Surgeon

Hi B,

You are well advised to contact your rhinoplasty surgeon about your concerns.  Only your surgeon knows what went on during your surgery.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

16311 Ventura Blvd
Encino, CA 91436

Slanted Splint After Rhinoplasty

You have a legitimate concern, and you should definitely check with your surgeon.  However, in many cases the appearance of the cast and / or tape immediately after surgery has very little correlation with how the nose looks underneath.  There can be uneven swelling on one side or the other, and if tip work was done, the tip of the nose is often taped with an exaggerated upturn.  Your surgeon is your partner in this process, and therefore will want to address any such concerns you may have. 

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

30 Canton Street
Manchester, NH 03103-3540

Slanted nasal splint

Dear bmaynard Clearly it is true that many patients look at the dressing that is placed on a surgery site, whether it is rhinoplasty or other body part, and this can create worry. However, the reason a dressing may be "slanted" or crooked can be from 1) the way the adhesive tapes are sticking, 2) a difference in swelling on one side, or 3) just an incidental twist in the cast. This may very well have absolutely no effect on your final outcome, so I would suggest giving your surgeons office a call, discussing your concern, and give yourself a chance to heal before worrying. You have a lot invested and need to take care of yourself right now. Best wishes.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

2521 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95817