Leg Elevation During Recovery

I'm having BR & TT. Would it be a good idea to elevate my legs while I'm recovering?

Walking prevents blood clots after surgery

After your surgeries you may be most concerned with blood clots forming in your leg.  I generally tell my patients that they should be walking rather than worrying about elevating your legs.  It is more important to pump your calf muscles like you are pressing the brakes in a car.  This will keep the venous blood circulating out of them and keep blood clots from forming there and creating major problems.  The simplest way of doing this is by walking, but you can also do this while on the couch; just put your legs up and pump them against the cushion or whatever is near by.

Generally elevating your legs will help keep swelling out of them and keep them from being painful.  You are having cosmetic surgeries so swelling of the legs due to excess fluid should not be a major concern or your surgeon would/should have discussed this with you before hand. 

Freehold Plastic Surgeon

1001 West Main St
Freehold, NJ 07728-2965

Elevating legs after surgery

Yes, it could help. When resting, you can prop your feet up on a couple of pillows. In addition, make sure you do some movement throughout the day to reduce the risk of blood clots.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Leg elevation

Leg elevation may be helpful after your surgery to help prevent swelling in the legs.  Also, following a tummy tuck, you will need to maintain some flexion at the waist for several days after surgery.  However, it is also I,portent to get out of bed and walk around regularly to avoid blood clots from formind in your leg veins.  I'm sure your plastic surgeon will give you very specific instructions on your post surgical routine.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Breast Reduction - Leg Elevation During Recovery

I think you have to be concerned with doing a lot more than that.  Combining these procedures, particularly if being done under general anesthesia (as is likely in view of what you're having done) is associated with a risk of blood clots in the legs (referred to as Deep Vein Thrombosis, or DVT).  If these break off and travel to the lungs it is called a pulmonary embolus, and the results, in that case, can be fatal or, if not, can cause significant morbidity.

You are right to be concerned about this but there are many things that can be done to minimize the risk.  These include administering anticoagulants, such as heparin or Lovenox, the use of compression devices on the legs, early ambulation, adequate hydration, etc.  It is reasonable for you to speak with your PS ahead of time to make sure these things are being done, as is likely.  Together, they reduce the risk of this combination.

Elevating your legs may be part of helping swelling diminish - in the sense that you're "defying" gravity - but there are many more issues that need to be addressed in order to ease your recovery.  And to maximize the safety of this procedure.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

122 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065

Leg elevation prevents thrombosis

yes but besides you should  utilize a medium  elastic and compressive legs garments and  start movilization out of  your bed  as soon as possible 

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Calle 54 No. 365 T