36G --> If 500 Grams is Removed, What Size Will I Be? I Prefer to Be a 36D or 36DD (photo)

Hello, I am on my 3rd appointment, currently with the Surgeon. I'm 34, 5'6, 185lbs. The insurance company requires that 500 grams must be removed. My bra size is a 36G, and there is also some asymmetry going on as well. I want to be busty, just not this "very heavy and painful" busty. My question: -What will 500 grams look like? Is it required to be a minimum of 500 per breast, or a total of 1000 grams? -Is it possible for me to go to a 36DD? That's my aesthetic goal. Thanks in advance.

Weight removal and cup size reduction

+3

A 36 G breast corresponds to 1600 grams.  A 36 DD is about 1200 grams.  If your insurance company requires 500 grams removal, your final result will be about 1100 grams, smaller than a DD.  However, there is a new technique that you should consider. The Ultimate Breast Reduction with Lift relieves pain by transferring breast weight to the underlying pectoral major muscles.  This technique results in marked elevation of breasts, pain relief and avoids the unsightly vertical, lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.  Your goal is to achieve beautiful breasts without vertical scars.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and cup size

+2
I am going to be honest here. I think you want to have your cake and eat it, too. You want to have an insurance company pay for an operation, ostensibly because your breasts are too large and painful, but then have an aesthetic goal of remaining a DD. I perform breast reductions all the time on patients who have DD cup breasts and they have neck, shoulder and back pain, bra strap grooving and intertrigo. You will continue to have these problems if you do not reduce the breasts appropriately to alleviate them and I can assure you that no insurance company, at this time, will pay for a second reduction. You have a lot of sagging or ptosis and 500 grams will not produce a sufficient reduction from the larger breast. I would encourage you to go smaller than a DD and preferably to a large C/small D at your age because you can expect to gain weight with the years and for the breasts to enlarge as a consequence. Additionally, if the breasts remain too large, the effects of gravity will produce sagging over time.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Reduction and Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; hopefully you will be very pleased with results of surgery.

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “busty” or “DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. ‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Breast reduction and 500 gram tissue removal

+1

Your photo demonstrates a roughly G cup right breast and a left breast that is one half to one full cup size smaller.  In order to obtain symmetry and satisfy your insurance company, 500 gms will need to be removed from the left breast and 600-700 gms will need to be removed from the right.  (Total breast tissue removed at least 1000 gms.)  I would estimate that this will leave you in the D cup range.  This should be more than enough to still look "busty" while still removing enough breast tissue to provide relief of symptoms.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon