Can my Insurance Pay for Removal of Breast Tissue on Armpit While I Have a Breast Augmentation at the Same Time?

I have had breast tissue on my left armpit for the past 14 years. Since puberty. It can be very painful (was very painful during pregnancy). I am very thin and it is very visible. I really want that removed and I'm wondering if my insurance can pay for something like that. If so, I am also considering breast augmentation since my B cups lost volume after pregnancy. Could my plastic surgeon do both at the same time if the insurance did pay for it? Since he is a plastic surgeon.

Axillary breast tissue

+2

Occasionally I will do liposuction to this area to improve the contour.  The tissue can be quite fibrous and it is a hard area for postoperative compression so patients have firmness in this area for several months.  On two occasions, I have even excised the extra "wad" of breast and left a scar in the anterior axillary crease.   I do this at the same time as the other breast procedure be it augmentation, lift or reduction. 

Whether or not your insurance will pay for this is up to your insurance company.  I honestly would have a tough time making the argument for medical necessity but if you have an extreme case........maybe.

Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com

Removal of Axillary Breast Tissue and Breast Augmentation?

+2

Generally speaking, it may be difficult for you to obtain insurance coverage for removal of axillary breast tissue. The only way to know for sure is to seek “authorization” prior to the procedure; your plastic surgeon will be able to help you with this.

Yes, this is a procedure commonly performed by plastic surgeons and can be done at the same time as breast augmentation surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Breast Reduction - Insurance Coverage

+2

In general, insurance will pay for procedures that are deemed (by them) to be medically necessary.  This often includes a breast reduction if about 500 grams of tissue are removed from each side (more if you're a larger-than-average person, less if you're smaller).  The insurance MIGHT pay for the removal of the axillary breast tissue if you and your surgeon can demonstrate the symptoms it's causing (and the presumed benefit the removal would offer).  You probably could have breast augmentation at the same time, but that would not be a covered procedure.  Your surgeon could probably do both at the same time but there would be a separate fee for the cosmetic portion of the procedure (ie, the breast augmentation).  You should, of course, make sure that you understand clearly what your financial obligation would be for such a combined procedure.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Combined Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery

+1

Combined Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery is commonly done in my practice.. It is key to have prior authorization from your insurance company for the "insured" part of it as it is very hard to get authorization or payments after the fact. Typically the OR, Surgical Facility, and Anesthesia bills for the insurance part and you will pay for the time taken for the cosmetic portion (breast augmentation).

Axillary breast tissue and breast augmentation

+1

It is quite possible that your surgeon remove the axillary breast tissue at the same time as the breast augmentation.  

Excision of axillary mass at the time of breast augmentation

+1
Many surgical facilities will not accept the hybrid cosmetic/reconstructive case because of the differences in billing fees and concerns about legality. You will not achieve a cost saving by combining the procedures and I would not recommend the transaxillary approach simply as a mechanism to attempt to achieve insurance coverage because it has its own intrinsic risks and complications.

+1

We have reduced axillary breast tissue at the time of transaxillary breast augmentation. Insurance coverage will depend on a predetermination from your particular insurance plan as to what is of 'medical necessity'. This can be tricky where cosmetic procedures are also involved.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-implants