Why Does Left Arm Remain Numb 8 Months After Breast Augmentation Revision Surgery?

I just completed my 3rd BA Revision surgery in L.A. after 2 unsuccessful surgeries in Thailand. My 2nd surgery was done in May 2010, and it was a horrible experience. The L.A. doctor fixed my implants, but did not care to address the other issues stemming from my 2nd surgery. I am numb in my upper left arm/arm pit area. It is really annoying, and drives me crazy when I have an itch. There is also a weird sensation when I touch the area. Whill this ever go away?

Arm numbness

+1

Did you have a transaxillary approach at any time?  SOmetimes the nerve to this area of the arm is injured by stretching or even cutting and can lead to numbness.

Arm Numbness afte Surgery

+1

It sounds like the intercostobrachial nerve was damaged some how.  If it does not regain its function in about 12 months then it is unlikely going to.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Know your surgeon's history before going overseas for cheaper surgeries.

+1

Unfortuately, it is unlikely at this point in time that you will regain any more sensation. I have a had a few patients who report improved sensation from a second procedure but that is exceedingly rare.

That is sometimes the problem with going overseas for surgery.  Did you know the history of this surgeon?  It is possible you have nerve damage.  Since you have had three surgeries, you have to give it some time.  Implant removal and replacement will not address any nerve issues.  Talk to your PS about possibly trying some therapies including massage, physical therapy, etc.

Arm numbness

+1
It was probably impossible for your LA surgeon to correct your arm numbness as he would not be able to look for what your Thai surgeon injured. The numbness coukd be the result of something the Thai surgeon did, or from the position they had you lying in during the surgery.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Left Arm Numbness may be due to injury to intercostobrachial nerves, other factors

+1

Rarely, some patient may have upper inner arm numbness after breast augmentation surgery.  It may be more common with an underarm incision, as opposed to a  breast fold or areolar incision.  Basically, the intercostobrachial nerves may have stretched, or swelling may have compressed them, which may cause short term or long term numbness in your upper and inner arm.

Even without an underarm incision, some of the nerves may be damaged with compression or surgery i the chest wall area.  This would correspond to the underarm area.

The treatment of the area is usually time, and making sure your swelling goes down.  If this doesn't do the trick, then desensitization therapy, massage, and other modalities may help.  You should consider talking to your plastic surgeon that did the surgery to figure out what to do, given that it's been 8 months since your procedure.

Thanks for the great question, and I wish you the best of luck in getting rid of your numbness.

Roy Kim, MD