Is It Safe to Use Latisse After Lasik Eye Surgery?

I've had Lasik on both eyes 2 years ago and had no problems. Can I use Latisse?

Check if you have ocular conditions with your opthalmologist.

+3

It is best you go to your Ophthalmologist. There are many factors to be considered before you start Latisse, one being if you have glaucoma. Your doctor will also check your iris color, as there are studies that show that Latisse may increase the brown pigment that may be aleady existing within the iris.

With regard to post surgical procedures, if you are not actively post op from an Ocular procedure, using Latisse should not be a problem. But always check with the physician who performed your surgery.

Los Angeles Ophthalmologist

Check with your eye surgeon before using Latisse within 1 year after Lasik

+2

You should have no problems using Latisse once you have healed from Lasik, especially after 1-2 years. If you are less than 1 year out check with your surgeon. It is always good to check in with your ophthalmologist first.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse is safe on LASIK eye surgery patients

+1

Latisse is safe to use if you had LASIK or laser vision correction.  It is recommended that if you recently had the procedure you should consult with your ophthalmologist to ensure that your eyes has completely healed before starting Latisse. 

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasik and Latisse

+1

Lattise  can be used in patients who have had lasik before. That being said, I recommend recent lasik or laser correction patients to hold off latisse for 6 months to one year until most of the healing is complete. Additionally, anyone with an eye disorder such as uveitis should be checked by their ophthalmologist prior to using latisse. It can definitely make things worse.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Latisse after Laser Vision Correction

+1

Yes, it is absolutely safe to use Latisse after either PRK or LASIK. I usually recommend waiting about 6 weeks post procedure before resuming or starting Latisse. This way your lashes stay looking great the entire time....especially when you "unveil" your "new" eyes post laser vision correction!

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Latisse after LASIK

+1

I was just discussing this very issue with the Allergan representative and no formal studies have been completed. Since Latisse only goes on the lashes, and since even if a small amount made it into the eye it is a safe glaucoma medication (Lumigan), it is not believed that Latisse should be a problem after LASIK.

A better question might be how soon after LASIK can you use Latisse, and this is more difficult to answer. We are telling patients to discontinue Latisse a day prior to LASIK and not to resume it for at least a month to allow the flap to heal without the potential of trauma from the application, and to avoid any possible interference with healing. Our recommendation is that it be on hold for 6 weeks and restarted after the 6 week post op visit. If there are any signs of dry eye at six weeks we might ask them to wait a little longer.

The good news is that it takes Latisse 8-12 weeks to have a maximum benefit, and it takes about that long for the effect to disappear. Therefore, waiting six weeks will not result in a significant loss of the lash enhancement benefit.

Jon Dishler, MD
Denver Ophthalmologist

Using Latisse after LASIK

+1

Yes, it is safe to use Latisse after LASIK. I'd recommend waiting at least a month or two though, so that when you apply the medicine to the upper lid, you don't disturb your LASIK flap.

Getting the medicine in the eye is not a problem, as the medication is bimatoprost, an eyedrop typically used to treat glaucoma.

It is good to try to avoid getting it in your eye though, since there are reports that it may have a risk of turning blue eyes brown.

Gary Kawesch, MD
San Jose Ophthalmologist