Lateral Canthoplasty in Asian Patient to Lengthen and Open Eyes?

i am getting asian blepharoplasty and epicanthoplasty soon, but i would also like to open up and lengthen the outer corners of my eyes with lateral canthoplasty because the length of my eyes horizontally is too short. i have been unable to find that much information on it, or pictures of patients that have gotten lateral canthoplasty. will it be beneficial to me? how is the procedure done? i want my eyes to be as big as possible so i am interested in any procedures that could achieve such result. thank you!

Would strongly advise you against lateral canthoplasty

+2

In looking at you photo, I would strongly advise you against a lateral canthoplasty.  These are not cosmetic procedures.  They are for reconstruction.  You are highly likely to be disappointed with the result of this procedure even in the hands of the most expert surgeon.  Similarly for epicanthoplasty.  I generally advise strongly against these procedures. 

The purpose is to take an inside fold to an outside fold.  This can be a very nice adjunct to the double fold surgery.  However, it can also place a visible scar in the middle of the face that can trouble you for the rest of your life.  When we do the double fold surgery, the scar is hidden under the fold.  I would also strongly recommend that you have a very clear understanding with your surgeon regarding how much platform will be exposed by your surgery and where the fold will sit on the platform so you are not surprised after surgery.

Lateral canthoplasty will not make eyes bigger

+1

Lateral canthoplasty will not be of much benefit for your tight lower lids. There is no sense in performing the procedure on someone who is very young and has very tight lower eyelid structure. It would only make your eyes smaller in vertical dimension. Lateral canthoplasty will not make your eyes bigger.

Lateral Canthoplasty is done the least after double eyelid crease formation and medial epicanthoplasty

+1

Lateral Canthoplasty is done the least after Double eyelid crease formation and medial epicanthoplasty.  The are good reasons for this.  The lateral canthal area is not the area that really defines the differences between an Asian and a Caucasian Eyelid.  The medial canthal area is the area where Asians mostly have a difference.  It is thought to be due to a lack of development of the nasal bridge or other arrested point. 

When you are developing all people have epicanthal folds.  These folds disappear as you develop in the womb.  In Asians, approximately 40-70%, have a persistent fold and they are called epicanthal folds.  The lateral canthi don't have major differences between the two groups.   Hence surgical correction of the medial epicanthal folds is where the most difference will be noticed.  That is also the reason why doing a lateral epicanthoplasty is a lot likely when one does Asian Blepharoplasty. 

Another reason that the lateral epicanthoplasties are not done is because they can readhere back to the orginal shape and the success rate is also a lot lower than compared with the medial epicanthoplasty. From your pictures, you have a wide enough horizontal dimension.  I think a double eyelid crease procedure and a little medial epicanthoplasty will really improve the appearance of your eyes.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lateral Canthoplasty and Blepharoplasty

+1

I would advise against a lateral canthoplasty in your particular case. It appears that you are youthful with excellent lower eyelid skin tone. The lateral canthoplasty is a reconstructive procedure which tightens loose lower eye lid skin. 

Also, your photograph suggest that the upper eyelid skin tends to fold over the eyelashes which in turn hides your eyes true beauty. I would recommend an upper eyelid blephoraplasty which will make your eyes appear larger.     

Burr Von Maur, MD

Asian Blepharoplasty

+1

Hi. You are young with good eyelid tone. The position of your lateral canthus is good. So no canthoplasty is needed. In fact, it can cause problems. What you can have is Asian upper blepharoplasty, with removal of small amount of skin only. The eyelid crease can be reformed as well.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

I would not recommend this

+1

Your eye are wide enough and the lateral canothoplasty is not indicated in your case.You willget the result with romving small amount of fat from upper eyelid and blepharoplasty. Lateral canthoplasty is indicated in patients will loose lower lid.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Asian eye lids

+1

The Blepheroplasty with appropriate creation of the upper lid crease, and Epicanthoplasty will give you more open eye. Lateral canthoplasty will NOT lengthen your eye, you may create more problems if you pull on the lateral canthus and pull it from the globe.

Lateral canthoplasty

+1

I am not sure a lateral canthoplasty will "open" up your eyes although it can change the shape and orientation of your aperture. Also, be careful of doing an epicanthoplasty as it often leaves unsightly scars that are difficult to hide. A nasal dorsal implant can help with the epicanthal fold but only if you want a higher bridge.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD