Will Hyperthyroidism Affect Plastic Surgery Results?

hello, one month ago i had upper blepharoplasty and browlift. last week i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. my eyes seem to be healing ok now I guess. what will happen to me now? will my eyes look strage? they are currently small due to swelling, will they return to normal size?

Hyperthyroidism and plastic surgery results

+1

As long as your hyperthyroidism has been medically controlled, normal healing will ensue and you will have an excellent natural result from your plastic surgery. There is no need to be concerned as long as the thyroid levels are brought back into normal range.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Eyelid Surgery and Brow Lift

+1

Hyperthyroidism can affect your surgery on several fronts, depending on the severity of the disease and how well controlled it is. However these include:

1) Reaction to anesthesia

2) High blood presure during surgery

3) Less than optimal healing after surgery due to derrangement in your metabolism.

However, a well-controlled case should not really affect your outcome.

Blepharoplasty Can Be Done in Hyperthyroidism

+1

The degree of hyperthyroidism is important to assess. If it is mild then blepharoplasty and browlift should be ok. If you have severe hyperthyroidism such as Grave's Disease with Proptotic (bulging) eyes, then you can have serious consequences and must consult and ophthalmologist.

Regards

Web reference: http://www.facialplastics.net

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyperthyroidism and plastic surgery

+1

You are very lucky because it is likely that you had some degree of hyperthyroidism at the time of your surgery. Hyperthyroid patients can have severe reactions to anesthesia and the epinephrine in local anesthetic during surgery including sweating, increased body temperature, increased heart rate, abnormal heart beats, coma and even death. It can also prolong or prevent the healing process after surgery.

As long as it is controlled and treated your cosmetic surgery results should have a normal life span. However if left untreated hyperthyroidism can go on to Grave's disease with bulging eyes, retracted eyelids and visible white areas above and below the iris of the eyes. The eyes look big rather than small.

Appearance of eyes with hyperthyroidism

+1

It is most likely that your hyperthryroidism, if well controlled, will have little effect on your result. However, there are conditions such as Grave's disease that can profound effects on the overall appearance of the eyes.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.