Laser Resurfacing Wrinkles - Around Eyes and Mouth

I am considering Laser Resurfacing for lines around my mouth and around my eyes. Would CO2 Laser resurfacing or the newer Total FX be more effective? I would like to know the pros and cons of each procedure.

Fractional Laser Resurfacing for Mouth and Eyes

+2

TotalFX IS CO2 laser resurfacing delivered fractionally to facilitate shorter post treatment recovery, while maintaining the benefits of CO2 laser treatment.

TotalFX combines narrow column delivery of CO2 laser energy to the dermal layer (DeepFX) for long term collagen remodeling and more shallow, epidermal delivery for skin surface refinement. TotalFX can be used effectively in one treatment session to improve lines and wrinkles around the mouth and eyes.

Seattle General Surgeon

Laser around the mouth

+2

Laser around the eyes and mouth is excellent but the two big factors to keep in mind are:  1) use either the new CO2 fraxel or The Erbium laser only. 2) Have it done by an experienced surgeon in this type of laser work. The Erbium can go from very mild to very deep depending on the setting and the number of passes made. I personally use low energy and multiple passes to paint the area and get just the right amount of smoothing and tightening. This can be very precise around the eyes when done carefully. It can be disasterous when done poorly. Also laser around the eye will cause smoothing and tightening but not remove any fat pads or fullness.The same holds true for around the mouth only here deep wrinkles or fissures made need the addition of a filler besides laser. I use a slightly higher energy around the mouth and make more passes with the Erbium as the skin is much thicker in this area.

Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combined non-ablative and Ablative Erbium Laser resurfacing

+2

Older flat beam CO2 laser resurfacing removes lines and wrinkles but recovery is horrible and the skin is usually left white or hypopigmented.

Most experienced doctors today are using fractional laser resurfacing--the active FX and Deep FX are fractional CO2 lasers.

I have used most of the lasers that have been available in the last 15 years and continue to work hard to improve results, lessen downtime, and avoid complications.

Like Dr. DiBernardo I now use Fractional Erbium, because it is effective and pain and downtime are significantly less than with fractional CO2.

Recently we have achieved the best wrinkle removal and skin rejuvenation results that I have ever achieved by combining Non-ablative fractional 1540 Erbium resurfacing with ablative fractional 2940 erbium laser resurfacing done at the same session.

Recovery time is 5-7 days, only topical anesthesia is required and the results are excellent. 

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/combined-laser-resurfacing/combined-laser-skin-resurfacing/

Laser Resurfacing Wrinkles - Around the Mouth?

+1
Lines around the mouth are often deep and a difficult area to treat. Considerations for treatment around the mouth include:

• The skin around the mouth is relatively thick and requires different laser settings to be effective. 
  • Laser resurfacing of this area may need to be coupled with additional treatment such as volume enhancement around the lips. Volume enhancement around the lips can be non-surgical with a hyaluronic acid filler or surgical with fat transfer.
  • Lines around the mouth are generally more challenging to treat that lines elsewhere on the face and a discussion of realistic expectations from the treatment.
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 for Wrinkles Around the Mouth and Eyes

+1

Thank you for the great question. There are many brands and models of CO2 laser, and though there may be subtle differences in the delivery systems or power, the technology is very similar. Fractional CO2 is my go-to treatment for fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation issues around the moth and eyes. It can be used alone or in combination with other surgical on non-surgical rejuvenation procedures. Recovery is generally about a week, depending on how aggressive the treatment is. Pre- and post-laser care are generally easily managed. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/laser-resurfacing.php

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing around the eyes and mouth

+1

Periorbital and perioral Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing (around the eyes and mouth, respectively) can be quite satisfactory. There is really no need to consider the traditional CO2 laser resurfacing as the additional clinical benefit does not quite justify much prolonged recovery period, demarcation of treated areas and increased risks of infection and/or scarring. The make of a FDA-approved Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing does not make as much difference as the experience of the board-certified aesthetic physician as there are subtleties of depth of penetration and/or energy emitted of Micro Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/What_s_New.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing for wrinkles around eyes and mouth

+1

The thickness of the skin is different on the eyelids and on the lips.

The results in both areas are far superior with the old fashioned traditional CO2 Lasert han with the fractional CO2 Laser. However, the traditional CO2 Laser  resurfacing  requires a 7-9 days recovery time.

Using a combination of low power traditional CO2 Laser followed by the fractional CO2  laser can give the best results.

A rare patient will not respond to 4 consecutive (every 4 weeks) Fractional CO2 Laser treatments and then respond to one additional  low power Traditional CO2 laser treatment followed by a fractional CO2 treatment.

Always make sure that you are treated by a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon with experience in this field.

Chicago Dermatologist

Best Lasers for around the Eyes and Mouth

+1

I use both an Erbium laser and a Microfractional Carbon Dioxide to get the Best results. The erbium laser gently planes down the ridges or hills on each side of the "valley" and the Microfraction co2 laser provides the tightening and removes pigment. This  "Microfractional Plus"  treatment can reduce lines up to 90%.

San Ramon Dermatologist

Which is more effective CO2 or Fractional

+1

Dear Tea

Both can be very effective or a failure. So much depends upon the skill and experience of the operator. Both require a device to scan the laser beam across your skin. The depth of the peel for both depends upon the settings selected by the operator. The depth of the peel determines the effectiveness. Regardless of which technique you choose the most important factor is the expereince of the operator.

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing

+1

As I state in many other answer, it is often the magician and not so much the wand.  You want someone who has expertise inthe machines that they use.  A CO2 or erbium can give excellent result around the eyes and mouth provided that they are done well.  Fraxel is just another modality.