Removing "Stork Bite" on a 4-year-old?

How can "stork bites" be removed on a 4-year-old child? He has one between eyebrows, and another one on his eyelid. I read it goes away within 2 years, but it has been there for 4 years. I wanted to take care of it before he starts kindergarten. What are the options for this?

Diagnosis is important for both prognosis and treatment

+1
As suggested a diagnosis is very important, and seeing a dermatologist or paedatrician is paramount. If this is a port wine stain, the earlier the treatment the better. 
I prefer to do this under sedation, with a V Beam. Several laser treatments are needed for optimal outcomes. 

Hope this helps

Dr Davin Lim
Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Stork bite versus capillary malformation.

+1

Its it important to decipher exactly what this lesion is.  Many pediatric lesions do go away over time.  The only way to truly know is to have an in person physical examination performed.  It is to important of a problem to have a discussion such as this online.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Laser therapy for stork bites

+1

It is important to distinguish a stork bite from a port wine stain (capillary malformation).  A "stork bite" is also known as a "nevus flammeus" from the latin, for fiery birthmark.  They can be pink or purple and often disappear in the first 18-24 months of life.  Capillary malformations (port wine stains) do not disappear.  Both entities are due to an exuberance or conglomeration of capillaries.  Stork bites or capillary malformations that persist may be amenable to laser therapy, specifically pulsed dye lasers.  Although stork bites are known to be completely benign, capillary malformations in the head and neck region may be associated with or complex anomalies and need to be evaluated by a specialist in the field of vascular anomalies. 

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Hemangioma vs. PortWine Stain: History is important for management

+1

Birthmarks on the face can be one of several things, including port wine stains and hemangiomas. The difference is often established based on the history of the birthmark and whether it was present at birth or shortly thereafter. All birthmarks on the face should be examined by an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist, as there are several other important diagnostic tests that need to be undertaken for safety reasons. In some cases, a CT scan of the brain and annual eye exams are indicated.

In my office, I use the gold standard for birthmark removal, which is the pulsed dye laser.

See an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist to discuss. These should not always be managed by observation alone.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS