What Will Stretch Marks Look Like After Laser Lipo?

I am 24 years old, 5'6, 160 lbs, and had a baby 6 months ago. I reached 218 lbs during my pregnancy and have alot of stretch marks on my stomache, as well it hangs. I am planning to have laser lipo in November and I am wondering what will my stretch marks look like after. Will my belly still hang or is it just like that from the weight of the fat. Please note that my belly has always been large. I am not willing to have a tummy tuck. Thanks

Stretch marks and laser lipo

+4

Reduction in girth from lipsuction alone may make the stretch marks less visible as the skin contracts on itself. The laser energy might stimulate collagen production in the dermis which might help the appearance of the stretch marks but, if this occurs, and it's a low chance, it might only be realized six months or more after the liposuction.

(PHOTO) If you are not willing to have a tummy tuck DO NOT waste your money on liposuction.

+1

If you are not willing to have a tummy tuck DO NOT waste your money on liposuction. You will likely have irrgularities loose skin that will create folds that can get irritated ir inflammed or infected.

Liposuction will not help sagging or stretch marks.

+1

Hi.

Just looking at your picture, I think you need a tummy tuck.  And I think tumescent liposuction is better than laser liposuction anyway. Works at least as well, and probably safer.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Look Like After Laser Lipo

+1

"Forget about it!" Laser lipo is not for you. You are a very poor candidate. Just read all the posting here on your question. I would like to thank you for posting your photo. 

Laser lipo or any liposuction unlikely to achieve what you need.

+1

Dear Slimsoon

You may have been over promised on the liposuction.  The stretch marks will not go away with the liposuction, laser or otherwise.  The photo demonstrates profound skin laxity contributing the folding over of the skin at the bottom of the tummy known medically by the term panniculus.  Liposuction will reduce the overall shape and fullness of the stomach and can be associated with a degree of skin contraction.  There is no evidence that this type of skin contraction is more dramatic with a laser lipo over a conventional liposuction.  Also when surgeons discuss this, it is possible to be mislead by the degree of improvement.  In your case, you will have some improvement but it is unrealistic to expect the panniculus to resolve.  However, a prior liposuction does not prevent you from getting a tummy tuck at a later date if you decide you want further improvement.

Laser lipo is not a treatment for stretch marks

+1

There is absolutely no question from looking at you photo that you will get a MUCH better result from a tummy tuck. Lipo of any kind, with or without laser, will only remove fat and not help the loose skin and stretch marks very much if at all. I rarely state things so strongly on Real Self but I have to advise against lipo for you if what I see in the picture is accurate.

Richard Baxter, MD

Laser lipo and stretch marks

+1

Laser lipo will probably  not improve your stretch marks.  It will only help to debulk the areas of fat excess.

Laser liposuction is unlikely to improve stretch marks

+1

Stretch marks are caused by tears in the skin due to rapid growth, weight gain, or pregnancy. They are a true scar in the skin and are unlikely to be improved much by liposuction of any kind, including laser liposuction. Your picture does demonstrate significant abdominal laxity and a pannus, or over-folding of excess skin. I think a tummy tuck would be a better alternative.

peterejohnsonmd

Laser lipo will not improve stretch marks

+1

I'd be interested to learn what you were told regarding stretch mark improvement from laser lipo. Quite simply, the appearance of your stretch marks will not be improved with laser lipo, or any kind of liposuction technology available. Additionally, your skin laxity will worsen with liposuction. You need a tummy tuck for optimal improvement. Anything less than a TT is a compromise. Good luck.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Stretch marks after laser lipo

+1

Dr. Shafer is absolutely right. Laser lipo is best suited to small, isolated trouble areas, which is not represented by the posted picture. Liposuction of any sort is definitely not a weight loss procedure. Liposuction is a body contouring tool, not a weight loss tool. As such, it rarely results in any significant weight loss although it does significantly change the contours of one's body and, in many cases, how one's clothes fit. Liposuction results are best on someone who has achieved their goal weight but has some "trouble spots" that don't seem to go away with proper diet and exercise. It is certainly not a tool suited for someone that wants to "drop that last 20, 40, 60, etc."

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon