Why Do I Still Have a Big Belly Bulge After Stomach Liposuction?

Most of the fat was removed, and I do not feel bloated or distended. Could this just be how my body is shaped?

Stomach is still big after liposuction

+1

Yes, it could be the way your body is shaped or more likely it is reflective of your intra-abdomhinal or organ fat which is not treated by liposuction.

Liposuction techniques can reduce superficial fat

+1

The deep (visceral) fat cells are not accessible. This would be what is deep to your muscles. Fortunately exercize and diet WILL benefit this area.

That is why a combined approach of working out, watching what you eat, along with liposuction can get both what is above and what is beneath the muscle.  

On the other hand, there may still be residual swelling from your procedure. Some liposuction methods still have swelling even 6 months later.

Hope this helps

Chris Peers MD

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Bulge After Liposuction

+1

It is difficult to say without before and after pictures.  It could represent remaining fat or weakened stomach muscles from weight gain and/or pregnancy, residual swelling or seroma just to list a few. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Abdominal bulge after liposuction

+1

Some swelling is normal after abdominal liposuction, and may persist for several weeks after surgery. Liposuction only removes the fat above the muscle layer, and so the bulging you observe may be due to tissue laxity of the muscles themselves or else intra abdominal fat.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Abdominal liposuction

+1

If your surgery was just a couple of months ago you may see significant improvement in the months-to-come. If your liposuction was a while ago and you did see much fat removed, there is a possiblity that you may benefit by an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). See a board-certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Bulging after Abdominal Liposuction

+1

Bulging can be related to swelling or even scar tissue from the procedure. I would wait at least 6 months or longer after the procedure date to see if it improves. Also, make sure your weight is the same as it was preoperatively, as weight gain negatively influences results. The other reasons you could see bulging would be preexisting muscle bulging or skin excess.

Hayley Brown, MD