I had a baby 6 months ago. Should I have Coolsculpting now or later? (photos)

I am 6 1/2 months post partum from my last child.I gained a whopping 60lbs with him. I have 25 more pounds to go. I am actively dieting and exercising. I have always had the lower belly bulge even before I had kids and my legs have always been troublesome as far as rubbing together. I am 5'10'' large build and currently weigh 196.My normal weight is 170-175. I have been researching coolsculpting and wonder if I should go ahead and do it now or wait until I have finished losing all my weight?

Coolsculpting now or later

+1
An in person examination and consultation is needed to answer the question of whether to have coolsculpting now or later. If you are looking for a jump start then coolsculpting may be helpful. If you want to have full transformation, you may want to wait. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss both surgical options and coolsculpting to determine which may be the most appropriate for you.

CoolSculpting after Pregnancy

+1
Many patients gain more than 50 pounds with their pregnancy.  There are two schools of thought when it comes to CoolSculpting.  Some doctors feel that having the procedure even when you have more weight to lose will "jump start" your diet.  Other doctors feel that you should be closer to your ideal body weight before having the procedure.  I believe that both schools of thought are correct so it is really a matter of personal preference.  Would you be happier doing the procedure now or later? Please let me know what you decide and the results of your procedure.

Michele S. Green, MD

I had a baby six months ago. Should I have coolsculpting now or later?

+1
Coolsculpting is a noninvasive procedure that eliminates fat cells by a freezing process that induces programmed cell death. The decision of now or later is strictly yours. However, undergoing Coolsculting now may galvanize you to continue on your course of postpartum weight loss.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Now or Later?

+1
Thank you for you question. If you are in fact within 10-15% of your ideal body weight, It is important to continue with your dieting and exercise regimen.This will assure that when you undergo the Cool Sculpting procedure you will see the maximum results. If you unable to get close to your ideal weight based on BMI you may be a candidate for laser assisted liposuction. Be sure to consult a board certified physician and discuss a range of treatment options before commitment to any single treatment method.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Appropriate BMI for Coolsculpting or Liposonix

+1
Your current BMI is 28.1.  Ideally your BMI should be less than 20 for a non-invasive fat removal procedure such as Coolsculpting.  This is because with a BMI above 20 you may not be able to readily see the results. Additionally, I encourage you to investigate Liposonix which is a great alternative to Coolsculpting.  If you are unable to reach this goal, you may be a candidate for laser assisted microcannular liposuction such as SmartLipo or SlimLipo.

Matthew Doppelt, DO
Knoxville Dermatologist

CoolSculpting after pregnancy

+1
This is a great question. In my opinion, if you are not within 10-15% of your ideal body weight then you should continue with your diet and exercise to lose the remaining weight. Once you are closer to your ideal body weight then CoolSculpting can be done to get rid of the stubborn bulges of fat that have not gone away with diet or exercise. Remember, CoolSculpting is not a weight loss procedure, it is more of a body contouring treatment. Good luck to you!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon